Running

shajoh
on 4/3/13 3:00 pm - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

I'm new to this forum. I've been trying to work out more. I'm doing a boot camp at my gym. I've tried running. I'm hit or miss at it. I don't feel I'm very good at it. I'd like to be but I'm not. I'm starting to do C25K on the treadmill. I know outside is tougher. My husband wants to run with me outside in the mornings. I want to run with him but we live in a really hilly area in the country. I suck air really badly & can't seem to do very well on the hills which is most of the road we live on. I'm thinking of doing the C25K at the gym. I have a workout buddy at the gym who will keep me motivated & then just walking outside & not worrying about running it until I get in better shape. Any suggestions?  Does this sound like a good plan to you runners or am I being a wimp? 

Sharla

nfarris79
on 4/3/13 6:38 pm - Germantown, MD

Like getting good at anything, it takes practice & persistence. I think a good thing to focus on is breathing - taking deep, slow breaths as you're moving. On the TM, play around with the incline to mimic hills until you feel confident to take it to the road. Good luck!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

shajoh
on 4/3/13 7:48 pm - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

Thank you. I'll work on those tips. 

Sharla

Merk
on 4/5/13 7:12 am

I started C25K 8 weeks ago.  I can not believe that I can now run for 30 minutes at a time.  April 13th  I am running in a 5K race. 

rjsams
on 4/8/13 1:29 am - Eagan, MN

Doing a C25K program is a great idea!  If you feel that you need to repeat a week, don't worry about it.  Everybody improves at their own pace.  When using a TM, make sure you set the incline to at least 1%--that will mimic running outdoors.  But don't be surprised when you transition to outdoors if you can't run as far again--you haven't gone backwards, it truly is just harder. 

I'd rather run outside now, tho.  Much more entertaining, the time seems to go faster.  Thank goodness spring seems to be coming here in Minnesota--finally!

JsSkinnyMom
on 4/8/13 11:46 pm - Youngsville, LA

Sounds like you have a great plan of continuing the C25K program on the TM and just walking outside for now.  Walking is a great cross training workout.  You'll be running on the hills of your neighborhood before you know it.  There's no time limit on getting fit!

J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Most Active