Question for slow losers

Thundergrrrl
on 1/23/12 6:29 am
I realized I've been on this board for about 2 years now...whoa! That means some people who were struggling to lose those last few lbs when I started my journey should be long done! (And probably aren't hanging around anyway)

I am just curious on a purely intellectual level (that is, it has nothing to do with me) for those of you who have lost slowly and steadily since getting banded, how long has it taken? Is there anyone that continues to lose into their 3rd, 4th, or beyond year? 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Wendybrum
on 1/23/12 7:39 am - Oceanside, NY
 Good question. I am with you I have 30lbs to go and approaching 2 years.
wendy

Kate -True Brit
on 1/23/12 4:25 pm - UK

Hi, are you asking if some people needed a long time to lose their excess weight or asking if people can still find the band gives help after several years?

If the latter,  mine still helps me after five and a half years. My method of maintenance is very relaxed and so over time I put on some pounds. Every time, I turn back to my band and it helps me as much as it did right back in the losing phase.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Thundergrrrl
on 1/24/12 1:41 am
Thanks Kate, was curious about both.

I know most people with any sort of WLS tend to lose most of what they're going to lose in the first 2 years or so. I was merely curious if anyone is such a slow loser that they took 3,4,5 years to lose but consistently lost 1/2 lb a week or something that whole time.

mustangmama
on 1/24/12 1:10 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I got the band in 5/2001 and lost all my excess weight within the first year.  My weight after that time would usually fluctuate between 1-5 pounds, but stepping my exercise up a bit always helped me get back down to goal weight.

I don't know many people that lost more after the 2nd year with the lapband.  I think at some point your body just gets to a comfortable weight and wants to stop.  If you're eating everything that you're suppose to be eating, but not exercising, then exercising can be instrumental in dropping those last few stubborn pounds.

Jordiesmama69
on 1/24/12 1:50 am - Roscoe, IL
I think it also has to play into the numbers depending on just how much a person had to lose. I am 3 yrs out and although its slowed down, I still lose. I was almost 500 pounds at surgery though. But I have lost throughout the 3 yrs, about 300 pounds gone. I did lose 45 pounds in the first 6 weeks so that was a huge jump start but then again I was huge too lol :) 
mustangmama
on 1/24/12 4:01 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I've heard this too.  Great job losing...glad that you're continuing to see progress. 

crystal M.
on 1/24/12 8:30 am, edited 1/24/12 8:32 am - Joliet, IL

I lose weight as long as I exercise.  Most of my 150+ lbs was lost during my second year after I started an intesive exercise routine.  I moved recently and got off track with my exercise and my weight loss dropped off to nothing even though I am following the rules and eating healthy...so how much of my weight loss has to do with my band and how of it has to do with my exercise routine I'm not sure....but I will be starting it back up again.  I will be joining a gym soon.  If the weight magically drops off again then there's your answer. 

Without exercise I lose little to no weight at all.  I wish I was one of those people that could lose  weight without exercise but that's not me.  Or one of those people that can take walks and call that exercise ....unfortunately I have to sweat my ass off to lose weight.  I have about 50 more lbs to get my "dream" weight, but I will be happy if I could lose 30 more. 

Thundergrrrl
on 1/24/12 11:46 am
I'm with you there too. If I don't exercise, it doesn't matter how little I eat, I will gain weight.

But the problem is exercising makes me hungrier! Dammit... viscious cycle.

dianeg49
on 1/24/12 11:55 am, edited 1/24/12 12:05 am
Cyrstal-
I was so glad to read this! My weight loss has been so slow. I was beginning to wonder if I wasn't working for the band or if it wasn't working for me. I decided to pump up my exercise and really log every thing I eat. With the exercise I have started losing again. I feel like I am at a good fill level, I'm satisfied for hours after protein...I just don't lose any weight.
I am working very hard to make it to losing 100 lbs by my 2nd bandaversary. I feel encouraged after reading your post. Thanks!!
Dianeg49            
Most Active