not loosing weight

judeloren
on 12/14/15 1:12 pm

I feel pretty dumb here and its a stupid question but I apparently need help. I'm still waiting on approval to get a Sleeve so I don't currently have a WLS. I had a Lap band that was removed.  I've been on a medically supervised diet for over 3 months and loosing an average of 2 lbs a month... 1 lb one month 6 lbs one month and 1 lb one month. Dr says its calories in vs calories out to follow my fitness pal app. it says due to weight and lack of activity to have 2200 calories a day. i dont et close to that ever. My average is 1200 calories... i'll be extremely honest probably half of that is pop and im working on getting rid of pop but im wondering if maybe  i'm not loosing because im not eating enough? enough healthy food that is to make my body not store everything? I don't know im so frustrated

Brandi Girl
on 12/14/15 6:55 pm
WLS on 10/18/11

I don't really have an answer for you. But I can say I am one of those people who do not believe in your body going into 'starvation mode' from eating too little. That being said, I do find that when I up my calories for one day or even drastically lower them for a day it does kick start a stall I might be in. You might also want to log the types of foods you are eating to see if during the lower loss months if you are eating certain things that you didn't happen to eat on a month you lost more. More sodium foods make a good 4 pounds difference with me! Hang in there, over all you are losing and that is what matters. 

judeloren
on 12/15/15 6:30 am

Thanks for your help! I am just so frustrated. I gained 3 lbs back of what i lost and I've switched to a protein bar for breakfast from pop tarts, given up the bread on my lunch sandwich and eating meat first on dinner... given up 2 cans of pop a day so far and last night i actually jogged for over 15 minutes until i just couldn't run any more.. guess ill still be healthier  even if not really loosing. hope my surgery gets approved soon

Brandi Girl
on 12/15/15 9:41 am
WLS on 10/18/11

Any gains as well as not losing is frustrating for sure! Try to think of this time as a way to prepare for how your eating habits will be after your  surgery. We can't rely 100% on our 'tool'. It does not stop cravings of bad foods/snacks. If we don't start to find new ways to deal with things like that any success we have from WLS will be short lived. Another poster on here had mentioned to me that when she had to cut carbs out of her diet to lose weight she did just that. Only was concerned with cutting carbs, not with how much other foods she was eating until she got the cravings for carbs to stop. And TRUST me, once you get carbs (in my and some others opinion) and sugars out of your system, you WILL lose cravings for them :) It for me takes a good week or two though and it is a VERY hard week or two!! You're right though, every change for the better you are making now makes your body healthier! Fingers crossed you get your approval soon and keep posting for support. Support is vital. Nice to know this is a place we can come to where everyone here has dealt with the same issues without judging. Best of luck to us all.

judeloren
on 12/15/15 10:37 am

yes that's what I'm working towards preparing for after surgery. Giving up the pop is by far the hardest for me. I saw your other post about pop too. i didn't really want to before and since calories are low i though could maintain with some pop. everyone says give up pop you will loose but i don't with that alone.  I shouldn't have it after surgery though so i'm trying to work it out of my life..  i am drinking less and less. figure easier to get down to almost none till surgery and then go cold turkey on pop while recovering lol thanks for the support! i missed this site it does help a lot

WereYorkie
on 12/15/15 11:33 am
VSG on 05/11/15

I gave up soda long ago... I went from Soda to Crystal Light... from Crystal Light to water. I don't miss soda at all. Why? Because now it tastes like chemicals. 

Think about it... You say that half of your calories is coming from soda.... You're drinking 600 calories worth of SUGAR a day. SSSSSSSSSSSSUGAR! No wonder your body isn't giving up the ghost. Sugar is an instant gratification thing for a body. The low carb way of thinking is this--your body will run off of sugar first, carbs second, fat third. If you cut out the sugar and the carbs, and eat high healthy fats, moderate protein, low carb... you lose weight. 

Your doctor may be saying "Calories in VS Calories out" but that does not take into consideration what long term healthy eating means. Do you realize that sodas leeches your bone density?

You aren't just eating for instant results. You are eating for your old age. You need to start taking care of yourself not just for next month or next year, but realize what you do now will affect you when you are in your 60's, 70's, 80's...

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

judeloren
on 12/15/15 2:12 pm

i think crystal light tastes like chemicals lol. I am working on giving pop up completely.

that actually makes a lot of sense that way. If im providing sugar then its burning that first. My eating is very protein rich low carb now just not my drinking.

I think i need to do a lot of research on how the body burns what you eat.

thanks!

SDenae
on 12/16/15 9:54 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

A book that was recommended to me when I asked that is Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease It has really opened my eyes.

My advice: Go ahead and go cold turkey on the pop now. You're going to be dealing with so much other stuff after surgery, you don't want to add avoidable withdrawal on top of that.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

judeloren
on 12/17/15 5:23 am

Wow watching a lecture by him on you tube now. got my attention right off with the calories in aand calories out is a myth! Thanks for the advise!

Zee Starrlite
on 12/20/15 5:22 am, edited 12/19/15 9:33 pm

Be honest with yourself already!  Your diet is protein rich lol ( you have Pop Tarts for breakfast now a healthier BAR)l!  Come on man be real!  You eat a diet of 1200 this past 3 months on your medically supervised diet and 600 calories of that is sugar laden soda - the rest is protein rich.

The truth is if you are not the doll Baby Alive then nutrition DOES matter to your body.  It is only a matter of time before it rebels!  When you are a teen or in your 20's you can get away with doing lots of screwed up stuff to you body.  In the end, we have to pay down the debt and sometimes it's a large painful one.

Keep drinking your pop and eating like you hate your body.  When you get sleeved, you may lose beautifully for the first year . . . or not then the gig is up.  We have to change to become better.  Insanity is doing well he same thing over and over expecting as different result.

And walking 10 minutes 3 times per week - if you are well able is ***** cat!

Call me a mean witch I don't care.  My intentions here are to have people get better, do better when they know better.  Sometimes people need to get pissed off.  That rush of feelings put the wheels in motion.

Good luck with everything

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active