No sugar added ice cream

Sunnydaz
on 3/25/12 4:47 am
So I'm a little confused...my centre says I can have no sugar added ice cream at this stage...but when I look at the labels I'm seeing 6 to 8g of sugar in them with 6 to 10 g of fat.  Is that really ok? It's chapmans.

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/12 5:12 am - Canada
Hi,
 I'm not sure about the sugar (maybe because of the milk which shows up as a sugar) and fat issue but would like to caution you on the Maltolol (?sp) This is part of the no sugar sweetner.  Caution needed as this will cause diarrhea if taken in significant amounts. I can tolerate 1-2 spoonfuls but after that it's a great laxative!!
I buy it rarely...I feel, for me, it's a bad habit to get into.
Joy
highlandbear
on 3/25/12 6:13 am - Canada
Yes it is ok to have but I will be honest alot of people dump on it. i for one can not eat more than a few teaspoons. I just don't buy it any more. i don't like the feeling I get from it
Dianadcr
on 3/25/12 6:56 am - Canada
Have terrible reaction to sugar free ice cream and candy. Not a post op friendly food!
  Diana

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/25/12 7:50 am - Windsor, Canada
Remember, ice cream is made with milk or cream and has naturally occuring sugars. You have to look at the ingredient list and not just the nutritional label on it.  Look at what it is made of.  If there's not sugar in the first 3-4 ingredients then you are usually fairly safe.

As well, I wouldn't eat these out the first time I have it. I'd try it at home. Some people DO dump off of NSA products or have issues with diarrhea from the sugar alcohols. Just be wary at first.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Soon2BRunning
on 3/26/12 3:50 am - Toronto, Canada
 I can't eat these things because the gut rot after is awful!! be really careful with the milk fats so soon out, and later on, the sugar alcohols.

good luck
Kathy

jdance
on 3/26/12 4:22 am - Canada
Caution:
It tastes good going down, but even 1/2 cup is too much. Makes me feel crappy and if you want to clean yourself out, just eat more than that. but the cramps are terrific

I'd rather eat 1/2 a cup of regular ice cream as a special treat than the sugar free stuff. Nasty.

Ottawa34
on 3/26/12 12:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Last summer when I craved ice cream I bought  the Skinny Cow mini ice creams tubs, 3-4 teaspoons and it was just enough to satisy a craving, and they are so good :)

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Mary A.
on 3/27/12 1:17 am, edited 3/27/12 1:17 am
I enjoy the odd skinny cow as well and at 3 years post-op can pretty much tolerate 12-15g of sugar at a sitting. 

When I dish out ice cream I use the 2nd smallest Glad closeable container (the ones with the blue lids) and put usually (1) scoop of ice cream in there with a couple of cut up strawberries.

everyone has a different tolerance level of sugar and sugar alcohol levels...it's probably best to test drive these types of things while at home in case you have a reaction or end up dumping.

I bought a small ice cream cone from McDonalds at 5 months post-op ate 1/2 threw the other 1/2 out the car window..and STILL felt horrible.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics