head needing to catch up

Robin H.
on 8/1/12 12:00 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
well i now weigh 233 lbs a loss since December of 122 lbs have went from a size 28/30 to an 16/18 pants (depending on the cut) and yes with that has come many victories.  I am still having an issue seeing it! I look in the mirror and well see me, either i was in denial about my start size or just haven't wrapped my head around this.  I still look around and know i am still the largest in the room on many occasions.  I am definitely more confident and have always presented myself as such but that little voice in the back of my head is starting to **** me off!  I love seeing every ones successes on here and yes helps me stay motivated and on track.  I continue to loose at a steady pace and get lots of compliments but i just don't "feel" it or i guess see it.  I know it is head needing to catch up to body etc but I just wanted to share my experience.

Robin

slim115
on 8/1/12 12:12 am - peterborough, Canada
the battle of the mind takes over from the battle of the bulge....

good luck

cheers

spence
Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
Lynette1962
on 8/1/12 12:18 am - Whitby, Canada
Pictures are a great way to compare your progress. 
The mind can play nasty tricks on us during our weight loss journey and actually seeing ourselves (in photo's) can help with this. 
Also ....try on some of your larger clothing.....this also helps to reinforce the weight loss. 

It's an ongoing battle but your head with eventually catch up with your body....
BTW - do you are doing amazing !!!!

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

coppertop84
on 8/1/12 12:57 am - Canada
 I agree with Lynette. Post an old photo of yourself on the fridge or wall or wherever you'll see it. Everytime you see it you'll see how far you've come. If you've taken meausrements of yourself too you could compare that. I took measurements the day before surgery and yesterday did them again and actually held out the tape measure to the size my hips were a mth ago, and I couldn't believe the difference. Maybe I don't always see it in the mirror, but that's b/c we see ourselves everyday so we don't notice it as much, but if you compare those measurements, or those old fav pair of jeans that were a 26 to the 16 you are now, you'll be amazed. You look amazing!!!!! You're doing fabulous!! :) 

Catw
on 8/1/12 2:26 am - Arnprior, Canada
As you've seen, you aren't the only one who has this problem.  It's always a struggle to see how much we have changed.  Unless I do a before and after picture, I'd never believe I've lost as much as I have.  Also, looking at my clothes.  I can now fit into a XL which is cheaper than the 4X I was wearing.  A lot of changes happen without our noticing.  But maybe it would help to draw up a list of what you can do now, that you couldn't do pre WLS (NSVs).  And for future goals, make a bucket list.  Goals and acheivements don't have to be big to everyone to be huge for us.

Cathy

cheeky_monkey
on 8/1/12 2:36 am - Ottawa ON, Canada

Yes, from what I understand the head is the last thing to catch up....you are doing great!!!!

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

LuAnne H.
on 8/1/12 3:41 am - London, Canada
I think we all understand the "not seeing or feeling it"  I am still wearing clothes that I had last year!  They are really baggy but I don't "think" smaller clothes will fit!!!  You are looking wonderful, and are my inspiration!!   We all need to gag thal little voice and send it packing!

Lu

Referal Apr.17, 10   Orientation Feb.24, 11  !st  App (SW,NUT.RN) May 17, 11
2nd App (SM,NUT,RN) Jul. 7,11, Post-op Nut class Jan 13,12,  surgeon Feb27,12
surgery April 5,2012
Megan M.
on 8/1/12 5:04 am - Canada
It seems ridiculous, doesn't it, considering how much you have lost, but that's what the mind does to you. Before photos help, but not every photo will do it. I finally saw the difference when I saw a particular picture of me sitting in a chair at work. It's one of the hardest things to come to terms with-where you actually believe what you see with your eyes. And let's not forget the emotional toll it takes on you-exhausting to say the least.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

PaulaToronto
on 8/1/12 8:05 am - Toronto, Canada
Great new avatar and congrats on your success so far.  Pictures really bring it home for me as the mirror  and my self talk is still very unkind.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

DarrenM
on 8/1/12 9:08 am - Kincardine, Canada
I dont see myself as thinner also,lots of compliments(no negitives so far) from anyone but i just dont see it,and coming up on almost 100lbs since march..i know i have smaller clothes now but mind over matter!

Highest=420lb  pre opti=382lb pre-op=360                        
Most Active
Recent Topics