Need advice about food portions and such

Mamazoune
on 9/20/12 1:30 pm - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
 Hi there,

I am 7 weeks out from surgery and still 5 weeks away from my Nut appointment at TWH.  Seems to me like 3 months is too long to wait for guidance re: food intake so I'm looking for feedback here as there is nothing in my plan re: this time period.  I want to know how much protein I should be aiming for as well as carbs, fat and calories (daily intake).  I know there are different plans out there but I'm interested in hearing what some of your advice is.  
Mamazoune                
ToNewBeginnings
on 9/20/12 1:40 pm
For the first 6 months plus I just aimed for 60 grams of protein and 8 oz of liquid. I wrote down what I ate every day for a year at least.

I found once I got in the protein I couldn't fit in anything else. I did not focus on carbs, fat nor calories.

When I got to about 10-15 pounds above my goal weight  I chose to focus on calories fat etc.

Good Luck

ShallowGirl
on 9/20/12 1:47 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I saw 2 nutritionists at HRRH pre surgery and they had rubber chicken etc LITERALLY for us to play with. I'm kind of surprised to hear there was so little guidance at TWH.

The goal is 60 g of protein (60g to 80g) in a day.

at 4 calories a gram for protein, daily protein would be 240-320 calories.

Fat and carbs have no guidelines, but a general guideline is 40% -30% - 30% which is the zone diet.

40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat in terms of calories! (not grams)

so if you go 80 g carbs, 60 g protein, 30 g fat you would be at
320 cals from carbs
240 cals from protein
270 cals from fat
TOTAL 830 calories a day.

This is just an example.

The centers want you to focus on proteins then use carbs & fats to fill in the rest.

You need fat to nourish your skin and for fat soluable vitamins, you also need carbs for the B vitamins & fiber.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

lookinginto
on 9/20/12 2:11 pm
 I feel I lack a lot of information about this as well. It's too bad the bariatric centres don't offer a cooking class in the evenings. I'd pay for the course, but I'd love to take something that helped me figure all that out. 

ShallowGirl
on 9/20/12 2:15 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Try a diabetic cooking class. They limit the sugar and carbs and teach a lot of nutrition.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/12 3:12 pm - Straford, Canada
 At TWH I was told I should try to eat 80 g protein a day, and I shoot for 100 to 120 g protein so there isn't a lot of room for other stuff as I'm stuffed with the protein.  Thats just me though.  
ShallowGirl
on 9/20/12 8:13 am, edited 9/20/12 8:14 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Too much protein is hard on the kidneys. FYI.

I think 60 g is for a 5'3 woman.  80 could easily be for a man.

Mamazoune
on 9/20/12 3:19 pm - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Good to know, I have already had 2 surgeries to have my kidney stones blasted.
Mamazoune                
Mamazoune
on 9/20/12 3:18 pm - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Thanks for the info....they did recommend getting between 60-80 g of protein and water of course but nothing else really .   The nutrition class was like 6 months before my surgery so not really helpful.  I am able to eat salad and some veggies as well which I am enjoying.  Making my own protein shakes.  It has been hard reemembering to eat at work...I have to set my alarm to make sure I take breaks.  I bought some pure protein bars today at Walmart 30 g of protein per bar...it wasn't too bad. 

I really like the idea of a cooking class...that is an awsome idea!
Mamazoune                
dna
on 9/20/12 5:19 pm - Canada
I am 3 weeks out and WHAT !!  on the wait to see the nut ?  at TWH ?  I was hoping my appt would be soon.  I really need some help too !!

I am glad you asked this question :) 

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics