Protein Shakes

Sunnydaz
on 3/17/13 11:21 am

I drink premier protein shakes but I'm looking for other good tasting shakes. Any suggestions?

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

Tom R.
on 3/17/13 1:35 pm - Lindsay, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

I am 3 weeks out and used (and am still using) Boost Diabetic shakes.  The Chocolate and Strawberry taste fine, I've never tried the vanilla because the taste of OptiFast vanilla has really put me off.  I've also been using Carnation Breakfast Essentials shakes and I found them a bit tastier than the Boost but a bit lower in protein.  Finally, I just discovered an old container of Proteins+ powder that I am finishing.  The taste is not as great as the Boost or Carnation and you have to mix it with water but it has fewer calories and more protein than the other two.  I hope this helps.

~ Tom

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/17/13 3:04 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Please be very careful with this.

Neither Boost... Nor Carnation... Are actually protein shakes. They are considered MEAL REPLACEMENT shakes and are not quite what is recommended.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Tom R.
on 3/17/13 11:26 pm, edited 3/17/13 11:44 pm - Lindsay, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

In fact both Boost Diabetic and the Carnation Breakfast Essentials are the two of the three protein shakes recommended in the St. Joe's, Hamilton Post-Op guide for both VSG and RNY.  But I would guess that would be for early days post-op when you are looking to get more than just protein so, no, not suitable if you're after pure protein.

~ Tom

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/18/13 1:07 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
On March 18, 2013 at 6:26 AM Pacific Time, Tom R. wrote:

In fact both Boost Diabetic and the Carnation Breakfast Essentials are the two of the three protein shakes recommended in the St. Joe's, Hamilton Post-Op guide for both VSG and RNY.  But I would guess that would be for early days post-op when you are looking to get more than just protein so, no, not suitable if you're after pure protein.

I read this... took a step back. Read it again... And now am posting a reply.

1. David Lindsay is your listed Surgeon. He is at St. Joe's Toronto which is part of the HRRH program. Not the Hamilton Program. As part of the HRRH program the following is stated in their paperwork:

Page 38 of the document printed August 27th, 2012 and given out at Orientation after that date:

Diet Stage 2 in the foods to avoid column:

Meal-Replacement drinks such as Boost or Ensure.

Subsequent stages state to follow the previous recommendations and foods to avoid.

Please contact one of the HRRH Dieticians for clarification. 416-747-3720

2. I am 9 1/2 weeks post op. I am JUST ahead of you. I do know where you are at in this and I am sharing information which is highly valuable. One VSG post op to another with my paperwork in hand. I have the 1 month follow up paperwork in hand also but since you do not have that as of yet I am not posting that information. You should be getting it shortly.

The drinks you listed are not the recommended choices.

Best of luck.

Shell

Tom R.
on 3/18/13 1:27 am - Lindsay, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

My apologies, I stand corrected.  Boost is not recommended by HRRH - but Boost Diabetic (lower carbs) is recommended by St. Joe's Hamilton.  It would appear that the dieticians between the two centres have a slight difference of opinion, which seems to be the case everywhere.

~ Tom

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/18/13 1:43 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I would go with HRRH's program.

1. A number of the centers are doing different things and tracking the data, but HRRH was the FIRST Bariatric Centre Of Excellence here. I am going to follow their lead on things like this. Personal choice to listen to my medical team.

2. The overall stages are not the same center to center. Follow the ones they have set at your own because it is not a good fit to mix and match. Then you do not follow any guideline and are off on your own.

Example:
Guelph is on clear fluids for 13 days post op... Then full fluids much longer then we are. Etc., Etc.
HRRH is clear fluids 1-3 days post op... Then full fluids for 2 weeks.. Then Pureed for 1 week... Then Minced for 1 week... Then soft foods.

What is on their plan is not what is on ours because we are suppose to be moving things to different stages and getting our protein in other ways. I hope that makes sense.

I do not have Hamilton's paperwork and I am not looking to obtain theirs. I have seen TWH, Guelph, Ottawa, and HRRH's. I will go with HRRH so that if something happens... My own center can help me best.

3. Boost Diabetic has 190 calories, 16 g carbs, 16 g protein, and 7 g fat. HRRH's recommendations for a protein drink are protein drinks have 20-40 g protein and 0-5 g carbohydrates.

If I wanted stats like your Boost Diabetic I would go get a Starbucks coffee with protein x 2 and it would be a match.

I do not live a low calorie, low fat or low carb diet but I will say that something like Boost Diabetic would not fit my plan at any stage. I do not want to fall into the realm of meal replacements. I think there is a reason they want us to eat our calories. Especially with a VSG where it is possible to fail our VSG by consuming a high caloric liquid diet.

Just some insight I have gleaned from others further along in the process, my medical team, and a lot of research.

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/13 2:38 pm - Canada
I use gnc brand "whey iso burst" i love them. I use 2 scoops in 250ml of milk. It gives me a total of 49grams of protein. I have that twice a day
Sunnydaz
on 3/18/13 10:38 am

thank you for your input. I will check it out.

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

Mary A.
on 3/20/13 11:50 pm

I am 4 years post-op and still on occasion use IsoPro un-flavoured low carb

..I doctor it with either SF syrups or a small bannana, 3 ice cubes and (1) tablespoon of orange juice...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics