Reflecting on the many changes over the past year, since I had my surgery......

time2changeme
on 10/27/13 12:38 pm

Friday October 25th, was my one year anniversary since I had my WLS and what a difference it has made in my life....I no longer "JUST EXIST" I am "LIVING AGAIN!"  Good Bye 500's.....Good Bye 400's.....Good Bye 300's and Helloooo 200's!!

I have lost a total of 251 pounds! Half of me is gone yet I have gained so much!! What an exciting feeling! 

I can't even begin to share with you all the changes in my life over the past year but I would like to share a few of them with you.

- I no longer need to use my walker!

- I am able to do my own shopping again!

- I can go up and down stairs!

- I have been to the movies and theatres for the first time in many years (before I couldn't fit in the seats)

- I can get in and out of vechicles with ease and not worry about who is driving and if l would fit on the seat or if  the seatbelt would go around me.    

- I can cross my legs!

- I want to go out and see the world, instead of staying at home in my comfort zone eating anything and everything and lots of it! 

- I have a choice of clothing and places to shop and I am able to wear blue jeans for the first time in almost 20 yrs!

- I no longer have to wear a poncho a real coat fits me!

- I am able to get in and out of a chair or couch without help and I fit in any chair or booth! 

- My family life, grandchildren and circle of friends has increased as I am able to do so much more and not rely on help with everything.

AND when I smile, you can see how much happier I feel about myself.   

As some of you know I have had many bumps in the road along the way, but I overcame them. Not once did l ever regret having my surgery because I had come to the point that I had to and wanted to do this for me, no one else.  This was hard for me as I have always found it easier to do something for other people then myself. 

My options were limited and I wanted to live to see my children and grandchildren grow up. I also wanted to try some new things and get out into the world by giving myself more options as well as setting a good example and being a good role model for the people around me.  Very few people knew about my surgery as I am a very private person even still few know, but as time goes on I share it with the ones I feel comfortable with in telling.  I don't like being in the spot light, I'm no hero. I also don't like unwanted advice and opinions from people. When I made the final decision to have this surgery, i was going to do it with or without their support.  I knew it would just be a matter of time before I would encounter health issues or die from being over weight.  Often I found people seen my size and didn't see the real me!

I remember wondering when the Dr told me l had to be on optifast for 6 weeks before surgery if I could do it. I wasn't sure if l wanted to cry because I was actually approved for surgery or cry because I thought I might fail and not make it through the 6 weeks on optifast. I had to get my head in the right place and turn everything into positive thinking! I kept myself and my mind busy even through the stressful times and family dinners while l sipped on my optifast.  Now I thank my Doctor doing making me do this for so long as it prepared me for the rest of my journey.

To those of you just starting out on your journey or deciding if this is right for you keep in mind ...Your journey is yours, everyone is different but we all have one common goal that we are working towards. How we get there and why we are on this journey was our own personal choice to make us the person we wanted to be. Everyone is different so allow yourself to go at your own pace and do what you feel is best for you, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks, no matter what you do people will judge you.  Believe in yourself and believe in the process, trust me I know how frustrating it can be at times, but remind yourself this is what you have chosen to do for you!  

Also, I want to thank the many friends I have met from this forum, you input, concern and advice has been a valuable tool for me the past year and you have helped me so much on my journey!

Northernlightsmom
on 10/27/13 1:01 pm - Canada

WOW!!!

What an accomplishment. I am so so happy for you.

Just imagine all the good that you have still to come.

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

time2changeme
on 11/3/13 10:53 am

Thanks!

I agree, I look forward to reaching me goals and living every day to the fullest!

Amarachi
on 10/27/13 1:23 pm - Canada
Thank you for posting this! As a pre-op, I am deeply touched and I thank you for sharing.
time2changeme
on 11/3/13 10:54 am

My pleasure, if my experience can help and encourage you, then I have had a good day!

smallisland
on 10/27/13 1:47 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Your an amazing lady time2changeme! 

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

time2changeme
on 11/3/13 10:54 am

Thanks, smallisland :-)

BIGJAY1972
on 10/27/13 1:51 pm

awesome job!

time2changeme
on 11/3/13 10:55 am

Thanks Jay, your doing awesome too!

Sunny123
on 10/27/13 8:00 pm, edited 10/27/13 8:00 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

What an amazing accomplishment! Way to go! I love hearing this stories, it certainly helps me to keep my eye on the prize! Unbelievable 251 pounds in one year!!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Most Active
Recent Topics