Surgery day details (lengthy)

Sunny123
on 12/8/13 11:54 pm, edited 12/9/13 1:29 am
RNY on 12/05/13

It's been four days since my surgery in Ottawa. I have to say I am most impressed with the staff at Ottawa hospital - with the exception of one nurse...all others were fabulous.

I got up at 2:30 in the morning of my surgery because I was too excited/freaked out and knew I wouldn't get back to sleep.

Had a shower, no soap other than Dove and my shampoo and cream rinse. Actually I was so tired I cream rinsed first, then shampooed!

Made sure I drank water up to 3 hrs before my surgery (so I quit drinking at 7 am). I wanted to be hydrated well.

We got to the Ottawa Civic and I showed my husband where to park, it was full so we had to hit the parking out back. Every little thing made me more nervous. Got to the day surgery admitting and they made me ready for the operation by having me remove my clothes (I started my melt down here). She gave me pain meds right up front, before I even hurt! My husband came in and I settled down quite a bit then. I was worried about everything, laying there he chatted away to me which is strange for him as he is a pretty quiet guy. I said, oh I think I may have to poop..And I did!  It's a big deal as it didn't happen often on OPTIFAST. Because of advice I was given on the board I was taking Metimucil so I had some relief.

Just after that a fellow came and got me. He pulled the curtain so we could say our goodbyes...I told him it wasn't necessary - we've been married 24 yrs and we will be married more than that in the years to come (so I teared up when I said that). He was great. He asked if I had had surgery there before I said no, he explained where we were going, even stopped in a glass covered hall way to show me where all the surgeries took place (there are 16 surgery rooms). He left me under a sign that said Surgery Room 7 - I started to panic as 6 and 4 are my lucky numbers LOL! Dr Neville came - beautiful inside and out. The two nurses came asked me who I was, checked allergies etc...I stumbled for answers and apologized they said hey no problem. The anesthesiologist came, and explained what he would do...he told me to pick a nice dream to think of before I went out...okay I said...

My two nurses came back, wheeled my bed to the outter door and asked me if I could walk to the table - of course I could. I told them I would be dreaming of Switzerland - they asked if I had been. I said yes twice my husband is Swiss - like they wanted to hear that while preparing me - but I truly believe they did. I told Dr Neville that I would be going in September again and that this time I wouldn't need a seat belt extender. I could see by her eyes that she was smiling for me (she had a mask on). I told her I wouldn't eat the food...she said, of course you will, just differently.

Did the deep breaths and the next thing I know someone is calling my name saying I am out of surgery. Housekeeping was behind so I dozed on and off in recovery for 8 hours. My surgery was at 10:55 and I got to my room at 8 p.m. It was heaven when I got there. I got off the bed and went to pee...I filled the measure cup every time and nurse Laurie said I peed like a rock star...

Didn't get much sleep and met one nurse who wasn't nice but all the others made up for her lack of whatever they have.

I stayed two nights due to distance - I live 2.5 hrs from Ottawa. A lot of vitals are taken you should get up and walk take a shower etc. The first day I met the resident, Dr Neville again, the dietician and the nurse practitioner who gave me my follow up appointment. Last day the resident again...

Am at home now and doing well...the only trouble I had was finding a place to fill the one pain med as the pharmacy downstairs at the hosiptial was closed as I was discharged on a Saturday. I ended up filling it at the Glebe Apothecary on Bank Street. Wasn't sure how easy it would be to get filled in Kingston.

Sorry for the length, I know I found some peace in reading others' experience.

Thank you all for your love and support during my journey!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Kimmiekat
on 12/9/13 12:58 am

Thanks for posting! From someone who hasn't had surgery yet, I too find peace in peoples stories. Take care of yourself and best wishes with your healing.

Kim

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

Katiebear291
on 12/9/13 1:15 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Wow I really appreciate you taking the time to write out your story - It brings me comfort to read it and remember it is just like my last surgery so no need to fear for my life  tomorrow:)

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Sunny123
on 12/9/13 1:24 am, edited 12/9/13 1:27 am
RNY on 12/05/13

It isn't that bad Katie, I promise you! I am glad it brings you some comfort....these people don't judge and they want to help us get well!!

Best of luck my dear!!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

alysan
on 12/9/13 1:18 am - Canada

Thanks for posting!  Glad u r doing well!

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/13 4:10 am - Canada

Thanks for posting your surgery experience Jo!  Glad to hear you are home and doing well :)

Tracy

Yoyo4life
on 12/9/13 5:05 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

Thanks for posting this i am having surgery next month and this has helped to calm my nerves...i love to hear of others experiences...hope you have a speedy recovery....and happy journey!!!

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

jolemalamb
on 12/9/13 6:33 am - Sutton West, Canada

I enjoyed reading this. My surgery is on Friday at HRRH, and I am ready, although I'm nervous :(

Sunny123
on 12/9/13 6:43 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Good luck, you will do great!

Zizzler
on 12/9/13 7:28 am

Thank you for sharing your experience, it really helped me visualize how it will be at the Ottawa hospital.  Glad to hear everything went well - I was there recently for my first assessment so things are moving along a little for me too. How come there is always one mean nurse?  - lol

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Most Active
Recent Topics