Im so annoyed and sad

sadgirl89
on 1/6/15 10:51 am

Hey guys,

It's been 3 weeks since my RNY and so far I've lost 25 pounds which was lost in the first week and a half... ok fast forwarding to this week Im on pureed foods and to be honest I feel like crap for like 30 mins after I eat anything  like I have to throw up right after I eat im not really keeping anything down... I'm basically forcing myself to eat only to bring it up again. At this point I don't know what to do and im so turned off with food that I dont even want to eat to avoid feeling this way. It makes me regret doing this... dont get me wrong I feel great to point where i feel like I can return to work but its just me tolerating food that is the problem. I can only tolerate broths, apple sauce, jello, soda crackers, melba toast, pureed fruit and canned flaked chicken or turkey which I mix with light mayo.

Is this dumping syndrome?  Is it okay that I haven't lost weight this week? Am I supposed to losing weekly the first few weeks post surgery?  

:(

StacyJo44
on 1/6/15 11:48 am - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

WOW, your only 3 weeks post surgery and already eating soda crackers, melba toast and canned meats? I'm only 6 days post op and will be on liquids for 3 weeks then pureed foods for another. I don't start any solid food that i'll need to chew until week 5. I was told it would take that long for the swelling to be completely gone and the internal stitches and bypass areas to fully heal well enough to take chewed bolus without irritation and for digestion to be fully up and running. I was given a pretty specific list of foods I could puree and many have said babyfood is another good way to go as it's fully pureed and ready to eat. Maybe some of the foods your eating are just too harsh yet for your pouch? I was also told the most i'd hold easily would be 2 tbls for a few months. If you continue to have these problems, i'd contact your bariatric clinic and talk to a nurse or your surgeon. Good luck!

Seyenna
on 1/6/15 12:59 pm, edited 1/6/15 1:11 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

According to the HRRH manual we do the following:

Stage 1, clear fluids (day of surgery)

Stage 2, Full Fliuds (2 weeks)

Stage 3, Pureed and blended food (1 week)

Stage 4, Minced food (1 week)

Stage 5, Soft solid food 

By week 3, pureed and blended foods would include pureed meat, veggies, melba toast, mashed potatos, poached eggs, etc. It would depend on your surgeon and your clinic, I imagine.

To the Sadgirl, I recommend smaller bites and smaller potions, slow down eating more.. I have the same issue and I find eating really really slow helps me a lot. But everything on your list looks like where we should be. 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

sadgirl89
on 1/6/15 1:17 pm

TWH is basically the same only, stage 3 is two weeks long and then stage 4 is soft solid food. You are so right I think I do need to slow down between spoonfuls  and smaller bites. I'll try it out tomorrow. 

Thank you!!

Seyenna
on 1/6/15 1:18 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Be well hun, hopefully one day we can meet up again and do some real walking :)

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

sadgirl89
on 1/7/15 12:55 am

Oh for sure when the weather gets better!

merry1
on 1/7/15 4:08 am - Canada

There were several times I had to go back to stage one and work my way back up, it does not happen all at once, I too got the strangest feeling in my stomach after eating - as if it was repulsed by what I put in it.  although I did not throw up I would get heart palpitations and be so weak for about an hour after eating that I had to lie down.  then I found that tums helped somewhat and after a year had passed I no longer get these 'attacks'.  I sometimes now, and I am 1 1/2 yrs out get very hot and sweaty when I eat something that doesn't agree with me.  so  my advice - keep going back one step and slowly go forward again, your stomach has a lot to get used to.  you have done very well by the way!! keep up the good work and always post your complaints on line as it is very helpful and the people here are ready to support you. mary

sadgirl89
on 1/6/15 1:09 pm

I am following my centres diet instructions, everything Im eating is approved. However, when im eating say soda crackers I only eat one and theyre pretty small the same with the melba toast. The one I bought is the PC brand they are small and rounded and again I can only eat one. Now for the canned meat I cant eat tuna so chicken or turkey is fine I eat 1 tablespoon I dont eat it everyday. I find if I puree food that I cook for my kids for example I cooked chicken, vegetables, and rice. I pureed the chicken and the veggies had two small spoonfuls and right after threw up. Im definitely going to call the clinic  but in the meantime buy baby food or go back to liquids all together. 

mynderella
on 1/6/15 6:14 pm - Ottawa, Canada

4 years ago Ottawa was "advance as you feel able to".  Different programs, different styles I guess.

jaxie77
on 1/6/15 2:05 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey doll ! I'm sorry to hear you're feeling low right now . Seyenna is right , maybe take it super slow and you may be able to tolerate more . I'm finding that I have zero appetite right now ....none !  However,  I feel completely fine , not sick or anything . But seriously it doesn't take much to turn me right off . So I do find I'm struggling to get things in right now. Have to say though , this pureed phase is not helping one bit. I am basically not really doing that . I made a Scotch beef broth yesterday , with barley and lentils and so on . I simmered it the whole day so everything was super soft . When the guys were ready to eat , I put my portion in the blender thinking it would be like a blended soup ......it came out like a grey plopping  bowl of mush !! And I instantly lost any thoughts of eating anything . So basically I am just scraping by this phase on wet scrambled eggs , grated cheese , and tonight I added some deli ham really finely chopped . And the rest is yoghurt and ricotta and things like that still . I will not blend anymore . I just can't stomach it . It's a tricky phase as we need to be really creative in order to eat well . 

Anyway , I really hope it's just your appetite and nothing more than that hun . Keep us posted on how your doing and feel well . Maybe just stick to shakes for a day or so again until you feel strong enough to get back to it . Chin Up love 

Jax x

Most Active
Recent Topics