Why so many revisions to PS?

katier825
on 1/18/12 10:18 am
Hi,

I don't want to offend anyone, but I am surprised at how many times I read about someone having their surgery revised.  If you are having multiple revisions, may I ask why?  Is it doctor's error the first time? medical reason why it can't be done right first time?  Are you just not happy with the results? 

I am hoping that sharing with my doctor pictures of what I want and what I don't want will eliminate any issues and that we have good communication about my expected results.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Laura in Texas
on 1/18/12 10:30 am
I think so many of us have ravaged our bodies by being morbidly obese for so long. Our bodies are a complete mess. It's hard to put us back together in one fell swoop. My plastic surgeon is one of the best. He likes to split body work into 2 stages so on the second stage he can tweek anything that needs to be fixed from the first stage.

Choice of surgeon- truth be told, some surgeons are not very good or are not used to working with bariatric patients. Research, research, research!!

Unreal expectations- some people expect perfect results and it's not going to happen for the overwhelming majority of us.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ericaFG
on 1/18/12 10:38 am - Cambridge, Canada
 For me, my tummy was perfect and flat.  But my scar healed keloid and the surgeon thought we might be able to make it better with a revision (done at the same time as my BL/BR, so not another surgery).  Since I was under anyway I thought I'd give it a shot...
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

mkbeany
on 1/18/12 10:53 am
Speaking for myself...with all I have had done, I would expect a revision would be necessary.

As an obese person, I stretched out and ruined my skin.
Many years at 355 took a toll.
When I lost all the weight at 46 my body looked a mess...very thin and crepey skin, odd skin to fat ratio as well as odd fat distribution.

Plus, stretched out and damaged skin can create healing issues.
Post bariatric nutrition can also play a role in how we heal.

Very different from a person who has never had a weight problem and is looking for a little nip and tuck.

I will need a revision.
But I do not believe any "fault" lies with my surgeon.

It is my opinion that to expect perfection from body conturing surgery after massive weight loss is unreasonable.

There was a sign in the break room of a Surgical ICU where I once worked...

You Can't Make Chicken Salad Out of Chicken ****

Just about sums it up.

My surgeon was very honest and pretty blunt when addressing my expectations.
I hope yours is too.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
katier825
on 1/18/12 11:03 am
I appreciate the replies that you all posted. Do you think it is more likely that people would want a revision from a tummy tuck/lower body lift than they would from a breast lift/augmentation? I have read quilt a bit on the JustBreastImplants forums. It seems like many of the revisions I've read about there are due to "booby greed" and they want to go larger.

I know better than to expect to come out looking like a model, but hope that I'm pleased with the results. I am scheduled for a BL/BA next month. My doctor is experienced with body contouring post WLS.

Loved the "chicken ****" sign! LOL
mkbeany
on 1/18/12 10:50 pm
I know, me too!
It was years ago...but so apprpriate for many situations.

I keep threatening to cross stitch it on a pillow!!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
edelu
on 1/19/12 3:46 am - los angeles, CA
Because the skin is fluid, when on the table something can look perfect but when walking around with it, it can be a little different.  with b/l it's dog ears.  little pockets of skin that form on the sides under the arms. Drs expect this, even the most highly regarded ones.  something can look as if it has perfect symmetry on the table but when your walking around and everything shifts into place, you can have one side of a TT higher than the other.  And you feel differently about how it looks after surgery.  you're paying for it, you want the best you can get.  I either waited for a later surgery or in the case of dog ears, had it done under local.  I mean whatever you're left with, is gonna be with you forever. Most Dr's do revisions for free.  At least that was my experience.
Lee ~
on 1/18/12 2:37 pm - CA
 So far I'm really pleased with my plastics done six weeks ago.  Dr. Sauceda told me that he could make wonderful improvements, but not perfection.  He delivered what he said.  He gave me realistic expectations during the marking up the night before surgery.  My body is still swollen but my tummy is flat, my natural breasts are divine, my arms are slim and my thighs are so much smaller than they were.  I am walking around in a great body for a 61 year old woman who shed 110 pounds.

Not perfection but that wasn't possible.  I can understand wanting some tweaks to make it even better, especially if I were in my 20's or 30's.  Everyone is right, we put our bodies through tough trials.  Surgeons aren't miracle workers and sometimes we need a second go round on the table.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

dasie
on 1/18/12 7:17 pm
You have been so inspirational to me.  I told my family about your story.  I really struggled with having this done at my age, but you really encouraged me. It sounds like Dr. S is a great surgeon. 

This forum has completely altered my thoughts on PS, and like the other forums pre and post RNY, I would not want to begin the process wio having this forum in order to begin to prepare for what lies ahead.

Lee ~
on 1/18/12 11:20 pm - CA
 I couldn't Agee more.  This forum, along with Dr. Saucedas group here on OH prepared me for what to expect post op.  plastics is nothing to be taken lightly.  You're so smart to do your homework.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active