Panniculectomy 2 days post op (with pics)

Susanb2117
on 8/23/17 7:23 pm

I just wanted to share because I came to this site for information/pictures/stories before my panniculectomy and I maybe my story will be helpful. I gastric bypass 3 years ago and have mainteined a 110 lb weight loss. I am 53 years old and am not looking for a perfect body, I just wanted to feel good and be healthy which I did. I did end up with a bit of hanging skin on my stomach that I could disguise in certain clothing, but it was not great for exercising (I do alot of running) and could get quite irritated in the summer months, but I was happy to live with it. When I went to see the general surgeon at an Army hospital prior to my colonoscopy just to discuss the prep for the procedure because of my bypass (at my request) he inquired about my weight loss and how long I had maintained it. He then asked if I had my extra skin on my stomach removed and I said no and he said, do you want me to do it? Unbelievable. I made an appointment and a week later was scheduled for the surgery I never dreamed I could get. I came online to research and many people said if you can't do the full tummy tuck don't bother. I want to say that for me, I am not looking for a "bikini body" but I am so thrilled that I no longer have to make sure the stomach skin in not showing in whatever pants or skirt I am wearing, I no longer have to make sure I wear something tight enough to run so it does not flap, and I no longer have to deal with skin irritations and rashes. I am beyond the moon excited. Because it seems most people do not recommend the panniculectomy I wanted to share my story and photos. I am posting the before and the one from today which is 2 days post op. I will post a follow up later.

I also wanted to point out that I was not interested in a longer and painful recovery. With this procedure I never used one pain reliever, in the hospital or at home. They tend to make me feel ill and I would rather deal with a little discomfort. I did not need a drain and just used a binder that they sent me home with. Yesterday getting around was a bit painful but today (2 days after surgery) I am doing great. When I first get up there is a little pain but nothing bad at all and after that I am up and around like nothing happened. I hope this post helps anyone searching on this topic.

PS No idea why the pictures are SO BIG!! LOL. sorry about that

FuturePinUp
on 8/24/17 12:00 am

Good for you! You look great!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Susanb2117
on 8/24/17 2:56 pm

THank you :)

Gwen M.
on 8/24/17 6:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congratulations!! I think there are so many different factors involved in these decisions for reconstructive surgery that it sucks when people say "well, if you're not going to do [everything] it's not worth doing [anything]." Clearly this was the right choice for you and I'm sure you'll get the relief you want for running! I run too and exercise was definitely the major motivator for my surgeries - I don't want to have to be in ankle to wrist compression gear for every single run I go on.

:D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Susanb2117
on 8/24/17 2:55 pm

Thank you Gwen. I actually love my soft belly and stretch marks. That belly carried 3 wonderful babies and served me well. The hanging skin - did not love! lol. This was perfect for me. I am glad someone else can appreciate that :)

Heather L.
on 8/25/17 10:27 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos. I've never seen a panniculectomy which didn't also include removal of the belly button, so that was educational. It's awesome that you're so pleased and are recuperating easily. =)

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Susanb2117
on 8/25/17 2:54 pm

You are welcome :) Mine was just the extra skin, no pulling down etc. so I kept my lifelong friend belly button LOL. It was very stretched from the pulling skin but is springing back nicely!

OctoberOne
on 8/25/17 11:37 am
VSG on 09/07/17

I am having VSG surgery in 2 weeks. I have already lost about 25 pounds and hope to lose another 75. My insurance will pay for panniculectomy, so I am thinking that is what I what to have done. I have also read that there is a great deal of pain sometimes with the other procedures, so your story is encouraging. Thanks for sharing, because I can see that it makes a huge difference.

Susanb2117
on 8/25/17 2:52 pm

I am so glad it helped, that is what I hoped for. Good luck to you! I am sure you will hit your goal, have your surgery and feel just as great as I do!!!

ItsTimeNow99
on 8/28/17 6:09 am

Congratulations! You look amazing.....and only 2 days post-op! It was great to hear your story and that this procedure worked best for you. So many people feel it's all or nothing, and I think there are a lot of options so it's best to research and research before deciding what option is the best fit.

Great job!

Pat

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

Most Active