Tuna noodle casserole

healthy2be
on 2/25/16 8:14 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

i have a craving for some tuna noodle casserole, but need some  help reworking the recipe to make it more WLS friendly.  I figure the tuna is fine as is.  The problem is the noodles and the sauce.  I'm thinking about substituting very thinly sliced yellow or green squash for the noodles.  My husband doesn't think that sounds very good.  I'm not sure.  Are there any noodles that are low in carbs or noodle alternative anyone can think of?  I also have no idea of what to do about the sauce.  I used to use cream of celery or broccoli and cheese soup, but I don't think those are the best options nutritionally now.  Thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!

Heather

N. Murphey
on 2/26/16 4:02 am

Best Ever Tuna Noodle Casserole

Ingredients

* 1 (8 ounce) package wide egg noodles
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
* 1 cup milk
* 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
* 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained
* 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large pot of salted water, boil noodles until al dente. Drain well.

3. In a medium saucepan, combine flour, butter, and salt. Stir until butter is melted and ingredients are combined evenly. Add milk, and whis****il the sauce thickens (usually it is at the proper consistency by the time it begins to boil). Add cheese to mixture, and whis****il cheese is melted and mixture is well blended. Stir in tuna, peas, and noodles. Spread evenly in prepared dish.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

healthy2be
on 2/26/16 4:12 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Sounds good.  Do you have the nutritional info on this?

lking
on 7/4/16 1:28 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

This recipe looks just like what I made "in my previous life".  I'm 7 months out with my RNY.  I cannot have egg/flour noodles, flour, or peas...all 3 items are too high in carbs.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

lking
on 7/4/16 1:16 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

This recipe looks to be exactly what I'm interested in making.  Thanks for posting the link!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

healthy2be
on 3/1/16 7:34 pm
RNY on 05/04/15
Please forgive me for the delay in posting this. I'm currently having some health issues and work issues that have been hogging my attention. I want to thank both of you for responding with the recipes. I haven't tried either because of the GI issues I'm going through, but really look forward to trying them. Again sorry for the rudeness of my delayed thanks. Heather
Tammy H.
on 4/18/16 8:04 am - Greenville, OH

I use * Spaghetti Squash* to make my tuna casserole...Once you cook your squash and have it cleaned and ready to go, I add the following...1 or 2 cans of Cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 can of milk or more depending on how much squash you use.... diced onions, water packed tuna ( don't drain ), Colby jack cheese, couple heaping spoons of fat free or lite sour cream, salt & pepper...You can add a handful of frozen peas if you like...Don't make the casserole too soupy because the spaghetti squash will leave off some liquid...I like to take a half cup of bread crumbs mixed with just a little cheese to sprinkle over the top before baking...You can also use crushed baked potato chips, or leave the topping off...Bake in oven about 45 minutes, give or take.

Spaghetti squash...poke approx 6-8 holes in it...place in baking dish and bake for approx 45-50 minutes...Cut in half, scoop out all the seeds and the bright yellow strands that seem to be around the seeds, as I find them to be bitter...Take fork and in a circle motion around the edge, pull out the spaghetti strands...I fixed mine in the microwave a few times and they cooked in less time...But be sure to POKE many holes in it...Once I didn't poke enough holes and it blew up in my microwave...It splattered all over...It was a mess to clean up...My preference is to bake it in the oven.

I also use spaghetti squash to make a lasagna type dish...Add whatever ingredients you want to it such as Spaghetti sauce, browned ground chuck ( drained )...or you can use grilled or baked chicken ( cut into chunks, or shred )...green peppers, onions, mushrooms, low fat cottage cheese, onions, some chopped garlic or powder ( optional )...Top with mozzarella cheese, and bake.

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

pattiharpr
on 6/20/16 1:04 pm - Duluth, MN

Have you looked into gluetin free noodles?   They  typically are made with quinoa (which has protein in them) and hey're not bad.   Just be careful not to over cook them.   Also I would recommend getting a veggie spirilizer,  it is useful in making veggie noodles and they are really tasty!  If your husband is wrinkling his nose try making half of your recipe with regular noodles and the other half to fill your needs.

happyteacher
on 6/26/16 1:25 pm

I use Fiber Gourmet noodles- they are not low car, but lower carb comparatively speaking. A little extra protein also. I was always Ok with this during my wls surgery period once in a while, and I would ensure I would balance the carbs out for the day. I also didn't go crazy with the noodles. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active