Tightening the Stoma (Recovery Q's)

ManyBlessings
on 9/16/16 8:41 am - Clermont, FL

Hi to all...

I had an RNY in 2005.  Yesterday I had an appointment with my surgeon and we discussed doing a revision. (Tightening the stoma). I was wondering about the experiences of those of you who have been through this. Is it as invasive as the original surgery? Will I have drains again? Will recovery be as long? Have any of you had any problems afterwards?

Thanks in advance! =)

It's not just the WEIGHT you LOSE, it's the LIFE you GAIN

RNY, Mar.2005Dr. Muhammed Jawad - Orlando, FL | S.W. 420 lb. - G.W. 160 lb.

hollykim
on 9/16/16 1:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Pacific Time, ManyBlessings wrote:

Hi to all...

I had an RNY in 2005.  Yesterday I had an appointment with my surgeon and we discussed doing a revision. (Tightening the stoma). I was wondering about the experiences of those of you who have been through this. Is it as invasive as the original surgery? Will I have drains again? Will recovery be as long? Have any of you had any problems afterwards?

Thanks in advance! =)

yes to all your questions,except the last one.

ManyBlessings
on 9/18/16 12:31 pm - Clermont, FL

Oh wow... so it's kind of like having the same surgery all over again. Did they go through your same incisions? I'm glad to know you had no problems with yours HollyKim. 

hollykim
on 9/18/16 4:34 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 18, 2016 at 7:31 PM Pacific Time, ManyBlessings wrote:

Oh wow... so it's kind of like having the same surgery all over again. Did they go through your same incisions? I'm glad to know you had no problems with yours HollyKim. 

I actually had a different revision, not stoma tightening,but had no problems. 

No, they don't use the same incisions because of scar tissue. Scar tissue doesn't heal well. 

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 11/18/16 7:32 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

Hollykim...So what did they do exactly?  Bypass more of your intestine?  On me they want to change the location that the Y part meets the lower intestines...he called it a distal RNY but I'm confused because he said he won't do anything to my pouch or stoma...he said my pouch is of normal size from being this far out but my stoma is enlarged...I don't understand why he won't fix the stoma too

Thanks

Christine

hollykim
on 11/18/16 8:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 19, 2016 at 3:32 AM Pacific Time, Christine Knorr Wiatrowski wrote:

Hollykim...So what did they do exactly?  Bypass more of your intestine?  On me they want to change the location that the Y part meets the lower intestines...he called it a distal RNY but I'm confused because he said he won't do anything to my pouch or stoma...he said my pouch is of normal size from being this far out but my stoma is enlarged...I don't understand why he won't fix the stoma too

Thanks

Christine

I actually had a Vsg that was converted to the duodenal switch,the DS.

with the Vsg, I didn't have any intestine bypass at all,but it was bypassed with the DS.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/19/16 11:55 am

it will depend on type of surgery they are going to do. some is IMO -just mostly "cosmetic" and it does not show a lot of weight loss over time - i.e. ROSE procedure., or Apollo overstitch... etc. That - is not real true revision.. buta procedure they try to make your stoma scar from the inside.. - that one - not real surgery - and very short recovery - no drains or incisions. 

real revision - when they reshape your pouch and cut and redo your stoma - that will be almost like the original one..

unfortunately - they mostly doing the "cosmetic" type procedures

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4199178/Rose-Proc edure/

http://obesitysurgery-info.com/stomaphyx.htm

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4586029/Apollo-Ov erstitch-Revision/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ManyBlessings
on 9/23/16 11:01 pm - Clermont, FL

Thank you H.a.l.a. I just saw your response. It is very late here right now and I'm off to bed. I will come back and check your links tomorrow (today LoL). Thank you for sharing!

bnsfpd4
on 11/18/17 12:03 pm

I know you wrote this about a year ago.. and I am very thankful for this platform. I have been having some gastric issues and URQ pain for sometime. during the EDG to locate a ulcer and check my pouch they noticed within normal pouch size but enlarged stoma. Unfortunately my gastro doc is not a bariatric Dr. and the local small town Bariatric doc has a reputation for having a high mortality rate and law suits for malpractice. That being said my gastro doc said something about a laser cauterization of the stoma he had read about the procedure, to cause scaring to reduce the size of the stoma. I can't find any information in regards to this procedure. I am also concerned since he has never performed this procedure before on a bariatric patient that I would be the first. Not sure how I feel about that as well. I have had a gain of 55lbs since my initial loss of 100lbs. Surgery was in 2005 RNY. Any suggestions? I am located now in Jonesboro Arkansas. My insurance has to stay in the state unfortunately. My bariatric surgeon was in Iowa when I lived up there. I had originally wants the sleeve but he had only done 9 and he talked me out of doing it and doing this one.. not sure if I made the right choice.. Feeling overwhelmed and a lot depressed. Any help is appreciated.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/18/17 3:01 pm

Sorry to hear that. From what you posted ,- you plan to allow your doc to experiment on you? He never done that, not sure if that would work, and how, and plan to try it on you?

I think I would try a proper keto style, lower calories diet and exercise to see if I can lose weight before I would allow anyone to "test on me". I know they have to test on someone, and you are brave if you chose to be the one. I would take my chances with diet and exercise.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics