update on ECT

poet_kelly
on 3/23/11 12:56 am - OH
I posted a few days ago about the fact that I was considering ECT due to very severe depression that just was not responding to meds.  I really, really appreciated all the support and  the fact that no one said anything negative about it.

I have an appt next Tues for a consult with the doc that does the procedure and I am hoping to be able to start soon after that.  Just knowing it's in the works is actually making me feel a little better.  It gives me something to be hopeful about.

In my first post about it, I also asked if people thought I should tell my mother and/or my sister, because they have not always been very supportive in the past.  I was leaning toward not telling them but my partner really thought I should.  He said he really thought I might be underestimating them and that I should at least give them a chance to be there for me.

So I did tell them.  I wrote them a kind of lengthy email about it because that seemed easier than telling them in person or on the phone.  Both responded that they were sorry I was having such a hard time and were glad I told them and that they wanted to be supportive but weren't really sure how.  I'm not really even sure what I want from them in terms of support, other than wanting them to be understanding.  My sister did say the procedure sounded scary to her but that she knows how I research stuff like crazy and so she was sure I knew what I was doing and if I decided it was best for me, then she trusted it was.  I sent her a couple links to some info on it so maybe that will help her feel better about it, not that I need her approval or permission, of course.

Kelly

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 12:58 am - TX
I am glad they had a positive response to your email. It sounds like they are trying even if they don't know how to support you.
tcunningham
on 3/23/11 1:03 am - Bay Minette, AL

Kelly, I don't know what ECT is(will have to look that up), but I have been reading about what you have been going through and I pray you get some relief.  I think your partner was right about you letting your mother and sister know about what is going on with you and I am glad they are more supportive this time around.  I know your not looking for their approval or permission,but it does feel better to have people on your side when we are going through things.  I will be praying for you.  So continue to keep us updated.

Timeka

poet_kelly
on 3/23/11 1:06 am - OH
ECT is electroconvulsive therapy, what used to be  known as electric shock treatment.  I  know it sounds really scary to most people.  It's much safer than it was 30 or 40 years ago and it's a quick and easy and painless procedure and very effective for depression that doesn't respond to medication.  They don't do it much anymore because they have newer meds that work for most people but it's a good treatment for those that don't respond to meds or just can't take meds for some reason.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/11 1:12 am - OH
I'm glad that you got such a positive (and honest) response from your mother and sister.  I think it's great that they were able to express ther concern and desire to help but were hoenst enough to say that they didn't know HOW to help.  That's where you ASKING for the help and support you need comes into play... 

I'm glad you're feeling better knowing that things are moving forward.  Hang in there.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 3/23/11 1:16 am - OH
I'm glad too.  I do understand that when you want support, you usually need to ask for it.  People don't read minds and just know what you need, nice as that would be.

One thing I did tell them would be helpful for me is if they could help me make some phone calls.  I have some calls I need to make about medical bills and stuff and I know that shouldn't be hard but it just stresses me out.  They said they'd be happy to do it and my sister did a couple yesterday and said it was very quick and easy and she'd be happy to do it anytime.

I also asked my mother if she might be willing to come to a therapy session with me sometime and she said she would.  I"m not completely sure I want that and I don't want it right now because I've just started with a new therapist and I need to get used to her first, but I think it could be useful sometime in the future.

Kelly

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/11 1:49 am - OH
Sounds like you're doing a great job of asking for some help and support!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lee12197
on 3/23/11 1:49 am
RNY on 02/28/11 with
Its great that your family is being so supportive and helpful! I hope that you are able to get what you are looking for out of this treatment. I also just wanted to tell you thanks for all the great info and adivce you post on here. Whenever i see something you have either written or responded to i always make sure i read it b.c of the depth of knowledge you have on so many things!

AliSarah
on 3/23/11 1:53 am
I'm very proud of you Kelly!! I know it was hard for you to tell your mom and your sister about this! And, I'm glad they responded well!!

I hope these treatments will be able to give you some relief!!

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
msromagnola
on 3/23/11 11:55 am
Hi Kelly - I didn't read all the posts below - I know someone who has had the treatment.  It helped her but she had side effects.  Talk to someone who has had it on top of your research to be able to make an informed choice.

MSROMAGNOLA
Most Active
Recent Topics