putting together my next poll

poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 8:13 am - OH
As you know, I've been amusing myself lately - and learning lots of interesting things - by posting various polls.  Speaking of which, I have a few now I need to tally up the results from.

But anyway, I want to do a poll about common myths related to RNY, things some of us were told by our docs or dieticians, that really aren't true.  Like, say, that if we drink carbonated beverages it will stretch the pouch or that we can only absorb 30 grams of protein at a time.  Only a couple things are coming to mind, though.  Anyone think of any other ones I could include in my poll?

Kelly
clsino
on 3/22/11 8:21 am, edited 3/22/11 8:22 am
Drinking thru a straw will cause your pouch to stretch. 
I just had a dietitian tell my I should only eat 1000 calories to maintain my weight....I think she was cuckoo. 
That we should never eat carbs
Don't drink 30 minutes before eating....that rule makes no sense to me

I am sure if I think long enough about this I will come up with more.

poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 8:23 am - OH
Oh, those are some good ones.
Koko M.
on 3/22/11 8:38 am - Albany, CA
No raw fruits or veggies for 3 mos - 6 mos - a year - whatever.

I don't know if I'd call this a myth per se, I know some people can have trouble digesting the fibers, or with gas. But it's definitely not something that should be passed off as a hard rule. I ate fruits and veggies within a month post-op, just chewed them to liquid mush first.   The only one I had any issue with (and still do) is spinach. No idea why, and it's a shame because spinach salads were a real go-to for me pre-op.

What else... oh, "Dumping is forever". I dumped reliably and heavily over the first three or four months post-op, on both sugars and fats. Even high levels of fake sugars on an empty stomach would make me feel sick, shaky, nauseous. Now I can handle both, in small quantities. I still may feel a bit 'ew' after, but not anywhere near like my first few months.

Good questions, good info to get out there.

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 9:09 am - OH
Oh, I was also thinking the myth that everyone will dump.
dufiedog
on 3/22/11 9:04 am
My personal favorite.  You won't have any gas!!  What a joke.

ANNI D.
on 3/22/11 9:10 am

No chewing gum after surgery, not even sugar free. I have read on quite a few medical bariatric sites that the chewing can make you swallow air and have more gas. Same as the straw theory.

I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/22/11 9:15 am - OH
That you will damage your pouch if you eat solid food right after surgery... and don't forget Tums being an acceptable source of Calcium!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 9:18 am - OH
If I include the Tums thing, then I guess I'd have to include the one about Flintstones being great for us or gummy vitamins being OK.
rbednarski
on 3/22/11 10:39 am
RNY on 04/23/10 with
And that protein bullets made with collagenic protein are A-OK.

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

Most Active
Recent Topics