WLS and Family

Cella123
on 3/24/11 12:04 pm - IL
My family is driving me crazy. I have 2 1/2 weeks till surgery and my sister is acting crazy. She thinks something is going to happen to me. She says that there are complications and what if something happens to me because I have a son and I am a single mom. So she is telling this to my mom which  now she is worried more then before. Did anyone have family like this and did you think you would have problems or even die from the surgery, this is what my sister is implying.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 12:17 pm - OH
No, my family was not like that.

I did know I could have complications or even die.  You can die from any surgery.  But I also knew I would certainly have complications from obesity and could die from that.

Kelly

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

melissa22886
on 3/24/11 12:18 pm
my surgery is the day before yours. and my mom is that way. she is nervous and paranoid but it's expected. i try and reassure her that i will be ok(even though im terrified myself) and keep reminding her of my surgeons personal statistics with how well al his patients have done. the rest of my family that i have told have been supportive, mainly because two of them have had the same surgery(one RNY, one lap band) .
Smileygrl810
on 3/24/11 12:26 pm
I don't know what your health issues are right now... but you could also die from NOT having the surgery. You could also die walking across the street. My mom was worried... I took her to a few support groups with me and also gave her this website to get on and ask questions. The more she researched it the better she felt about it. Maybe you could try that with them???

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
LBinSC0712
on 3/24/11 1:54 pm
My family is the same way.  They have laid a lot of guilt on me about having the surgery.  They keep saying what if this and what if that.  I have a 5 yr old son and a husband(who is supportive).  In the beginning, I let it get to me and I almost called it off, but you can't live your life on what ifs.  I don't know your religious beliefs, but if it is your time, its your time, whether you are on the operating table or walking across the street.  I am making this decision based on what is best for me.  This surgery is going to be the tool to help me get my eating under control and give me my life back,  I look foward to being able to slide down a slide, shop in the misses dept instead of the womens, even ride a rollercoaster(well, maybe).  I wish you luck with your journey, and remember, that is what it is, your journey.

Lori Beth

cynthialee4
on 3/25/11 2:24 am - RI
i feel the same way about one person, my husband of 33 years..everyone in my family and my friends are so supportive, but my husband is ONLY thinking about the negative things about the surgery. He drives me nuts with his remarks and denial that I AM having the WLS. He will be there for me, but he is also worried about what will happen if I die.  I  told him that any of my comorbidities could make me die. We are raising our 7 year old granddaughter and he wants to know what plans i have made when it concerns her. Well, I am a positive person and have faith that I will be fine. He works on a rescue and sees too much to feel that this surgery is safe..I think my biggest concern right along has been how he will be when I am in the hospital and right after. He can get very outspoken and wants to hear what he wants to hear. We have been thru a lot in all of our years, but this is by far the biggest issue we have ever had. I have a lot of prayers that he will be understanding and compassionate, and that it alll works out fine. After all, this is our body and we need to do what we feel is right. If others dont agree, then they can watch from afar as the weight comes off and our health improves! I have put up with some very negative comments and attitudes from my husband, but in the end it is MY decision and he knows that!! Good luck cella123!!

Carrie W.
on 3/25/11 2:26 am - KY
I'm sorry!! As if you don't already know about the complications! Eckk. At least you've got OH for support.

My family is over the moon about me having surgery.
Cella123
on 3/25/11 9:03 am - IL
Thanks everyone for your help and support!!!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 284 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?