Today's public service announcement - iron and vit C

poet_kelly
on 3/26/11 7:29 pm, edited 3/26/11 10:18 pm - OH
What would  you like to hear about today?  A particular vitamin?  Labs?  Any particular complication after surgery?  I'm out of ideas at the moment.  Or maybe just in need of sleep and food.  Anyway, what info would you like, or what info do you think others might benefit from even if you know it? 

Oh, and if you know it?  Feel free to just post it yourself if you'd like.

ETA: OK, someone asked a question.  See below.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

turningpoint
on 3/26/11 10:07 pm
i need a refresher on the C with Iron....I swtiched my iron and now have one with C in it, but not sure if it is enough or if I still need to take my separate C.  Is too much C bad?  What is the ratio of C to iron?

Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
poet_kelly
on 3/26/11 10:17 pm - OH
Good one.

The ratio is 200 C for every 30 mg elemental iron.  So if you have carbonyl iron, that is elemental iron, so it's 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.

But if you have ferrous sulfate, 325 mg of that only has 65 mg elemental iron.  So you'd need about 400 mg C with it.

The only iron supplement I know of that has enough C in it already is the vitalady tender iron.  I believe it has 60 mg iron and 400 mg C.  

If you have Bariatric Advantage, Celebrate or Vitron C, for example, you need to add more C.

Is too much C bad?  Well, I guess too much anything could be bad.  But you're not gonna get too much C.  

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

godzilla
on 3/26/11 10:20 pm - Israel
HIJACK!
I was approved for Apronectomy!
11/04 coming up soon.
Mikimi in Israel

poet_kelly
on 3/26/11 10:21 pm - OH
Oh, good for you!  I haven't heard from you in a long time.  Where you been?  How you been doing?

godzilla
on 3/26/11 10:42 pm - Israel
Poet Kelly,
I misplaced you phone number and need it again (if you "allow"in a pm) and when it is best to ring you with the time difference.

poet_kelly
on 3/26/11 10:48 pm - OH
PMd you.

msromagnola
on 3/26/11 11:37 pm
Here's a question for you?  Which thing is affected by caffeine - iron or calcium?  Please don't say both. I need to learn when to take the pills in relation to my beloved coffee.

MSROMAGNOLA
poet_kelly
on 3/26/11 11:39 pm - OH
Neither to a significant extent unless you drink a whole put of coffee or something.

However, the tannins in coffee can interfere with the absorption of iron.  I take my iron at bedtime and I usually don't wanna drink a bunch of caffeine at bedtime, so that works out pretty good.

Angie T.
on 3/26/11 11:45 pm - Somewhere, NY
I too take my iron before bedtime, specifically because of the caffeine.  At times when my iron has been on the lower side, my doctor suggested two iron pills a day. I'm wondering if you know how long efter drinking coffee should we wait to take the iron?

Also, do your legs get weird when iron is too low?
I have noticed when mine is low, I feel like restless leg syndrom and muscle aches. Is this possible?
Thanks for your help ;)

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Most Active
Recent Topics