Can you drink too much water?

poet_kelly
on 3/30/11 1:35 pm - OH

Sometimes I see posts, mostly by people just recently post op, wondering if they are drinking too much.  Now, more often I see posts by people saying they are having a really hard time getting enough fluids, but some people are lucky enough to have no trouble getting them in.

But then they worry that they are drinking too much.  Trust me.  You’re not.

First of all, you cannot stretch your pouch by drinking.  Your pouch is basically like a funnel.  Liquids drain right out.

Now, it is technically possible to drink too much water and cause a dangerous electrolyte imbalance.  Like, you could die from it.  I bet most of us could not drink that much if we tried though.  But just in case you are one of the few that could, don't drink more than three or four gallons PER HOUR, OK?  Yeah, seriously.  Stick to no more than two gallons every hour, and you’ll be just fine.

You’ll probably be in the bathroom peeing every 10  minutes, but you’ll be fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bizzymommi
on 3/30/11 4:03 pm - CA
It's so funny that you posted this because today I was totally wondering if I was drinking too much and if it could stretch my pouch. That is why I love this place, you learn something new every day! Thanks!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3ulili/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w3ulili/s-weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Lady Lithia
on 3/30/11 4:12 pm
Every new-op who posts "am I drinking too much" is a new-op who is blessed!

I was so blessed. I loved NOT having issues with liquids postop.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 3/30/11 4:14 pm - OH
Oh, I know.

It's like the ones that post "Oh, nothing makes me sick, I never throw up, what's wrong with me?"

Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lady Lithia
on 3/30/11 4:17 pm
You read half a dozen messsages about people having trouble with liquids or throwing up all the time, and you think it's the norm so want to know what is wrong with you when you have no issues.

Aside from my dumping, and my rash I had, I had no real issues postop.

poet_kelly
on 3/30/11 4:19 pm - OH
I know, I get that.  But it seems like people are always assuming something's wrong.

Why am I feeling sick?  Why don't I feel sick?  Why can I eat so much?  How come I can only eat two bites?

Maybe we need a sticky thread or something that lists "what's normal?"

Lady Lithia
on 3/30/11 4:26 pm
yup, would be great if we had the 10 most asked questions answered and posted as a sticky

Would save a lot of typing.

Ah well.

ANNI D.
on 3/30/11 5:48 pm
Sorry I'm one of those people who commented on a post about being able to drink and eat with no problem. I never wrote about it as a topic but I have commented about it in  explainations about me on other posts. I always thought it was pretty funny, like wondering, did he even do the surgery or just poke the 5 holes and take my money! I know that I certainly wouldnt ask if its o.k. to drink 2-3 gallons of water PER HOUR as you said. I know that being able to do these things normally after surgery doent mean somethings wrong, its great. I feel for the people who are going through so much anguish trying to do normal things. I'm sorry that it annoys you enough to write a post about it. I just had to respond because it just kind of hurt my feelings a bit.
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

poet_kelly
on 3/31/11 2:59 am - OH
I wasn't annoyed and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Paul C.
on 3/30/11 6:32 pm - Cumming, GA
Last time I swam st the hymn I felt like I drank 5 gallons of water. I think part of it is some of the preop programs. I know as I look back on mine it seems almost like they were running s scared straight program.

I was told you will only be able to drink 1oz every 10 minutes and it will take you 30 minutes to eat 2oz. Never did they say this would change as my pouch healed. I used to think oh crap all I will have time to do is eat and drink, what about enjoying my new life.

There are still times a get the stupid question or thought in my head st the gym after I am finishing off my 60th oz for the day in like two hours. Food is a totally different subject as for the most part I still ready just because I have to. I actually envy those who worry about eating to much because on avg I still don't eat enough.

Like usual it is great to see people actually tell it like it is.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
Recent Topics