I had herniated disc surgery Ughhh!!

Paula C.
on 4/3/11 2:46 am
I am 19  months out RNY and just had my L5 removed. I was wondering if anyone else has had this surgery? I have a lot of numbness on my right leg and foot. I am gaining a Few pounds but I know it is from lying around. How long does the healing process take and when should the numbness start going away?
Paula Colvin RNY 08-03-2009 Augusta, Ga                                
Lady Lithia
on 4/3/11 2:55 am
I have NOT had that surgery (though may, at some point in my future).... but am recuperating from spinal surgery right now.

Have you told your surgeon that you have numbness? If you haven't call Monday morning and tell him/her about this.... this is important. Likely you have numbness due to inflammation and irritation of the sciatic nerve..

I have no idea how long the healing process is.... in my case, removal of the tailbone.... I've been told that some people don't return to work for FOUR or FIVE MONTHS...... but most begin returning after sixx weeks.

I had hoped to return on Monday, which would be three and a half weeks postop..... but no way! I'm taking another week off, and then goign back half-time the following week.

I've also gained about 7 pounds (holding steady there) since surgery. I feel fairly certain that once I return to work, and particularly to my former levels of boundless energy, I will lose the extra, but it does worry me a bit.

How is your pain control? Mine was AWFUL in the beginning, but not so bad anymore.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Paula C.
on 4/3/11 5:05 am
My pain control is getting better. I am winging myself off of Oxycontin right now. I have another week to see the doc. but I am gonna call tomorrow about the numbness. Yes I know about the small weight gain. Even 8 lbs. scares the mess out of me.
Lady Lithia
on 4/3/11 5:09 am
My oxycontin ran out after three weeks, and it's a 50 mile drive to the doctor's office to pick up a replacement scrip, even if he'd give it to me. (haven't asked)....since it's time release I don't think it does much for me anyway. were you given muscle relaxants? I was, and I think those help more than anything else.

Paula C.
on 4/3/11 5:17 am
All he prescribed was Oxycontin. I did have muscle relaxants before the surgery and yes I did like those better. Why did you have surgery on your spine?
Lady Lithia
on 4/3/11 5:20 am
I had my tailbone removed.

Chronic pain, inflammation of the marrow of the bones, no way to stop the pain without taking that sucker out.

SOUTHERNGIRL76
on 4/3/11 5:15 am - Anderson, SC
I am about 10-11 mths post op RNY and I am currently recovering from L4 L5 S1 TLIF Spinal Fusion.  I am about 5 wks post op from this surgery, and am having the same questions:-)  I have gained 2 lbs so far.....I too have numbness in my right leg.

I hope your healing process gets easier, and all turns out well!!

Paula C.
on 4/3/11 5:19 am
Thank you and I hope you feel better too! Tomorrow will be one week since surgery and my hubby is going back to work. I am kind of scared not sure why! Do you feel like you are recovering pretty fast?
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 206 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 300 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 126 views