Ick, why do pills taste so bad?

poet_kelly
on 4/5/11 3:14 am - OH
I don't chew them and don't crush them, but even so Lamictil is one of the nastiest things I've ever tasted.  I take a drink as fast as I can after I put the vile tablets in my mouth, but even so, I taste them.  And the taste is enough to make me want to gag.  Effexor is not much better, the non-extended release ones, I mean.  Not the capsules, the tablets.  Why on earth can't they  make it taste better?  I'm not saying it must taste yummy.  but why does it have to be this gross?

Ok.  Vent over.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

siberiancat
on 4/5/11 3:19 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Try taking a couple drinks first -  so your mouth isn't dry.  Have a piece of SF gum or a SF mint (I like Spry mints sweetend with Xylitol) ready to pop in your mouth after you swallow.

Works for me.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

poet_kelly
on 4/5/11 3:34 am - OH
I've been taking them with a flavored drink, not plain water, and then popping a piece of sugar free hard candy in my mouth right after.  Sugar free Werthers only has 8 calories and 3 sugar alcohols in one piece.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ANNI D.
on 4/5/11 3:26 am
You're so right. My surgeon still has me crushing pills until a month out, so I'm crushing the Lamictal right now. Can you imagine? Yes, it's a vulgar taste! I have a question for you by the way. I am considering to continue crushing my pills after my month required is over. I know I wont have any problem swallowing pills because I swallow my B complex, because it wont pry open. Pre-op I could swallow 15 pills at one time. (no exageration) I have been reading so much about absorbtion problems and people starting to think that their medicines are not working, especially their anti-depressants. I am deathly afraid that mine might not work as well, because I am one of those people, like you, that are medication resistant. I have finally found that this combo is good enough, for now. I want this to last as long as possible before I have to move on to the next ****tail. Any thoughts, or suggestions?
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

poet_kelly
on 4/5/11 3:35 am - OH
No, I cannot imagine crushing the Lamictil.  I think I'd puke, really.

Some people do fine on the same meds after surgery.  Some don't.  All you can do is wait and see.  I would contact your psychiatrist right away if you start to notice a difference in how you feel though.

Amy R.
on 4/5/11 3:45 am
IDK, Kelly, probably for the same reason they can't make a calcium pill smaller than a foot and a 1/2 long and six inches thick, and why they can't make protein pills we can take instead of shakes....

Sorry about the Lamictal, I know that stuff is nasty from when I took it before.  It gave me a  wicked rash on my hands so they took me off of it right away and I wasn't sorry to see it go.  Have you tried having some mouth was ready after you swallow it and swigging it right away?  That stuff pretty much wipes out ANY taste when I use it.
poet_kelly
on 4/5/11 3:48 am - OH
The rash might have been from increasing the dose too fast.  You're supposed to titrate it up really slow.

The reason they can't make calcium pills smaller - well, they could, but they would  not have much calcium so you'd have to take a million a day.  It's just that calcium molecules are big for some reason.

They do have protein pills but they only have about one gram of protein per pill, so I don't think they are worth bothering with.  They are chewable and can you imagine chewing 30 a day, even if they did taste good?

birthdaygirl
on 4/5/11 4:02 am - Lithonia, GA
Hey Kelly....hope you feel better soon!.....are you taking the Lamictil to help with depression?........I was just wondering because you offer good suggestions here and I just googled it....

I had a relapse in anxiety and depression lately and  current med is acting weird on me?......not absorbing but yet causing rebound anxiety attacks to the point where I need the Xanax more often to curb it....

I am scared to try any other meds because for one I have never been a good compliant medicine taker.....i take mediine long enought to do its intended job and then I want to be done with it...

so you can imagine how hard I struggle to comply with my lifetime of vitamin and supplement regime!

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
poet_kelly
on 4/5/11 4:06 am - OH
Yeah, it's actually a mood stabilizer and is often used for bipolar disorder but is also supposed to boost the effectiveness of antidepressants.  It is one you need to take regularly, though or you may have some pretty nasty side effects, like a really bad rash.  If your current meds aren't working are seem to be causing anxiety (and some can do that) I would try something different.  Hope you find something that works for you.

birthdaygirl
on 4/5/11 5:21 am - Lithonia, GA
On April 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:
Yeah, it's actually a mood stabilizer and is often used for bipolar disorder but is also supposed to boost the effectiveness of antidepressants.  It is one you need to take regularly, though or you may have some pretty nasty side effects, like a really bad rash.  If your current meds aren't working are seem to be causing anxiety (and some can do that) I would try something different.  Hope you find something that works for you.
thanks Kelly....I am going back to PCP this week because I now that Xanax is addicitve but it takes the edge off immediately and I know that it is not a long-term solution...

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
Most Active
Recent Topics