PCOS after RNY

shellbell75
on 4/11/11 12:23 am
I know there is a PCOS board but it doesn't get much activity, that's why I am posting here. I have PCOS and am on 1000mg 2xs a day for it. I am pre-op. Will I still have to take the Metformin after surgery? I am NOT diabetic and only take it for PCOS. I haven't met with my surgeon yet that's why I am asking here.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

soldierzgirl36
on 4/11/11 12:37 am - WA
They took me off it completely. No testing done or anything. I never had the cysts on overies. I had several other symptoms of PCOS including the insulin resistant problem. All my labs are looking good, so guess surgery worked:)

SOLDIERZGIRL

Diane Martin
on 4/11/11 12:40 am - Clarksville, TN
Hi there, I have PCOS, and did all that metformin stuff as well, but surgery has worked for me so far, Im 7 months post op at 175 lbs and my heaviest was 298. Met your surgeon and trust him. Mine helped me so much and like soldierz girl my labs are great.
Michelle1130
on 4/11/11 1:03 am - Fairbanks, AK
My Dr. took me off the Metformin BEFORE my surgery, saying I wouldn't need it any longer.  I haven't!  Regular periods since surgery!  Amazing!  It wasn't my surgeon but my internal med Doctor that made the decision.
FireFightersWife
on 4/11/11 1:37 am
I have pcos,. had ovaries covered in cysts, they even ruptured.. so painful.. never have much meds, since I was diagnosed right before I started my journey to have surgery, and wanted to wait.. I can say, I am still in pain, but not even 6 months out, but.. its is getting better..and I was told weight loss with help ALOT.. good luck!
     HUGGS         
     TAMMY

~Failure is not trying~ Success is not given, but earned~
SW: 283lbs/HW: 287lbs/current 168lbs/NEWGOAL: 155lbs  
Living with PCOS/Fibromyalgia/Arthritis/MultipleSpinal-Hip Injuries/conditions
Hysterectomy 02/06/2012

AliSarah
on 4/11/11 8:08 am
I was taken off the metformin before surgery, after I had lost 50 pounds and started to get hypoglycemia... :D

I am still taking the bc to regulate my periods (they never used to stop on their own) but I am hopeful that I'll be able to drop the bc after August for my 1 year surgiversary! :D

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
Katari
on 4/11/11 8:49 am - OR
I have PCOS as well and was taking a little less dosage than you, but I never took metformin again after they sent me home from the hospital. Everyone is different so no telling exactly what they'll do, but you very well could be off it right after surgery.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Kristine E.
on 4/11/11 10:59 am - VA
RNY on 01/27/11 with
Shelly!!!!!! You! My periods have been exactly 32 days apart since right after surgery. Before that, I had maybe 3 a year if I wasn't on BC or metformin. I bet they'll take you off it after surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 275 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 276 views