OT-need help finding therapist

poet_kelly
on 4/21/11 2:38 am - OH
I had a therapist I really liked and had seen for several years and he retired about 18 months ago.

At that time I started seeing a therapist at the county mental health agency, one of the few places that takes Medicare around here and would do a payment plan with me for the portion I had to pay out of pocket.  I had a terrible experience.  I specifically asked for a therapist that had some experience with dissociative identity disorder, and they assigned me to one ethat does not believe DID is a real disorder.  Then she cancelled an appointment during a time she knew I was in crisis and didn't call to tell me she was cancelling it.  I showed up and found out then.  Then she promised she'd call me that afternoon and we'd talk on the phone but she never called.  So I complained to the director of the agency and never went back.

There are a couple of counselors at the agency I go to for primary health care.  So I started seeing a therapist there.  I felt that she was not taking me seriously.  She kept giggling at things I would say that weren't funny.  LIke when I was telling her how verbally abusive my nephew had been, she thought that was hilarious.  So I was not comfortable telling her stuff about my childhood.  If she thought how my nephew treated me was funny, she would have thought the stuff that happened in my childhood was a riot.

I told her it hurt my feelings and she apologized and said I could transfer to the other therapist there if I wanted.  So I said OK, I would do that.  Well, apparently that therapist is overbooked.  She can only see me once every three weeks.  Since I am currently so depressed I am undergoing ECT, that does not seem like enough to me.

I don't know what to do.  Not many therapists take Medicare.  Also, my portion of the payment with Medicare is about $45 and I can't afford that every week.  So I need someone that will make a payment plan with me for that cost.

Anyone got any suggestions?  'Cause not being in therapy seems like a bad idea right now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DisneyLover
on 4/21/11 2:59 am - WI
Does the doctor who is doing your ECT have any suggestions or referrals?  Being a therapist you would think one would be more professional than the one that was giggling.  A therapist is seeing inner parts of a person that is personal.  Do you know what I mean?  That was not very professional of her.

Sarah

poet_kelly
on 4/21/11 3:05 am - OH
The doc doing the ECT probably could make a referral, but we have to travel and hour and 40 minutes to the hospital where he practices and I can't really see driving that far once a week for therapy.

The giggling was very unprofessional, that's why I did not go back to her.  I did ask her about it and tell her it hurt my feelings and she pointed out that we'd laughed together about things before in sessions but well, those were funny things.  I did not find my nephew's abusive behavior to be amusing.  It really hurt my feelings that she thought it was funny that I'd been treated that way.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

laura_vermont
on 4/21/11 3:17 am
I wish I had something helpful to offer -- travel time keeps me from getting professional help. 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 4/21/11 3:41 am
Check to see if there is an outpatient Psych clinic at a nearby non-profit hospital.  We have one  at the hospital where I work.  If the therapist is employeed by the hospital it is possible they would reduce or eliminate you co-pay/deductible depending on your income level under the hospital's charity program. 

I report our charity to the state for reimbursement so I am pretty familiar with the guidelines for hospitals and the income limits.  If you have any questions you can PM me.

Winnie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/11 5:38 am - OH
You might check the Find a Therapist link on the Psychology Today web site... you can seach by city/county/zip code/whatever and the profile should show if they take Medicare.  (You will still have to call and ask about the payment plan for your co-pay, though).  

Even being in the field (being familiar with some people's reputations, both for good and for bad), and having insurance that many therapists take, I am DREADING finding a new one when mine retires soon.  There are so many factors, especially when things like PTSD are involved. (I'm sorry you ended up with someone who doesn't believe in DID... unfortunately, that is a rather common position among therapists... either they don't believe it is real or they just don't want to deal with it.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

nfarris79
on 4/21/11 6:20 am - Germantown, MD
 Also, be sure you're searching for an LCSW (social worker) or psychologist. Counselors can't bill Medicare *unfortunately*!!!!! So anyone with LCPC or LPC on their credentials just can't help you out with the Medicare part, even if they're perfect for your MH needs.

I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience with other therapists. Psychology Today's Find-A-
Therapist website is a really good resource. It's one of the few advertising sources that I use. The self-descriptions can really help you hone in on someone who would best fit your needs. And I'm sorry but any therapist who doesn't think DID is a real disorder may not have come from a "real" graduate program....

I'm wondering, do you qualify for Medicaid? There's no copay (at least in my state) for services and I've had people who have Medicaid & Medicare - as a counselor I could only bill the Medicaid part - and that may open you up to other providers. I totally understand your frustration on finding a provider who is both affordable & qualified. Sometimes it's a choice of one or the other, unfortunately. I've had doctors who were surprised that I even accept 3rd parties, let alone Medicaid! Then again, I only just opened my private practice last year.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 4/21/11 6:26 am - OH
I have Medicaid but have a $650 spend down.  It's like a monthly deductible.  I have to pay out that much each month before my Medicaid kicks in.  I hardly ever meet my spend down, except like when I had surgery.

I don't get how they can think DID is not a real disorder.  It would be like going to an oncologist that didn't believe in breast cancer.  Makes no sense to me.

Pupcake !.
on 4/21/11 10:01 am, edited 4/21/11 10:06 am - Stranded in, IA
My brother has a 680$ spend down qualifies for a program that pays his medicare deductables, premiums and copay.

In Iowa if your income is below  $1083/ mos it is all paid for-  you should check for your state.  Is your spend-down for 2 mos?

Here's the guidelines from 2009 in OH

http://jfs.ohio.gov/ohp/consumers/MPAPIncomeGuidelines.pdf

Pup
Amy R.
on 4/21/11 7:48 am
Sheesh Kelly, I wish things would start looking up for you - and fast!

Don't have any ideas other than the Psychology Today website, but I am talking to my therapist tomorrow and I will ask her if she has any ideas about how to go about finding one (obviously I won't mention anything about you specifically). Maybe she has some hints. I also see my psychiatrist Monday so will ask him too.

What a pain. I'm sorry you are dealing with this right now. You're right - thinking you def need someone more than once every three weeks, especially right now.

Is the ECT helping at all? PM me if you feel like it =)

Take Care.
Most Active
Recent Topics