Can supplementing Vitamin K change your menstral cycle?

Tiffani A.
on 5/4/11 6:17 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I started taking vitamin K from Vitalady about 10 days ago because there was none in my BA chewable vitamins.  I decided to buy a bottle and supplement it until I finish the current bottle of multivitamins and then change the multivits.  Anyway I started taking them during my TOM and now its here again.  I am 17 months post op, stalled for 9 months so I don't think its related to the rapid weight loss hormones or anything.  Until this week my periods were still very regular.  I was hoping someone here would have some insight.  I was just in for my well-woman appointment in April, but I have a call in to my Dr. anyway.      

silly_sandy
on 5/4/11 6:51 am - IL
I was taking 50000 IU pre-op and I was regular while taking it.  Not sure what happens after surgery though.  Maybe someone else has the answer?

HW: 307  SW:  254  CW: 177 GW: 150
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/11 8:54 am - OH
Vitamin K should not have any effect on your menstrual cycle.  It has a fairly limited prupose in our bodies... to regulate the proteins that control blood clotting and to aid in bone mineralization, neither of which would effect your hormone-regulated reproductive cycle.  It may just be a one-month anomaly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sharyn S.
on 5/4/11 10:07 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
There really is no need to supplement vitamin K.  It is made in the large intestine by bacteria.

It aids in blood clotting.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/11 10:43 am - OH
Sharyn is correct that MOST people don't need to supplement. As I thought about it more after reading her response, it occurred to me that it is probably not a good thing to supplement unless your labs show a low K level since a K level that is too high could potentially cause abnormal clotting (anfd potential blood clots).

I actually DO have to take a separate supplement on top of what is in my multi. however, because my level was low on both of my last labs (and quite low on the last one... and contributed to my protime/INR going completely wacko at the beginning of the year).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tiffani A.
on 5/4/11 1:30 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Oh boy.  Thanks for your responses.  I did ask my surgeon about it and he said I could take some vitamin K if I wanted to.  So I thought about it and googled for awhile.  He said he doesn't run labs for Vit K unless there is a clotting issue.  Its good to know i don't have to worry about it.

Most Active
Recent Topics