Marketing sleaze. Pure Protein bullets/shots are NOT whey protein!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/17/11 5:17 am - OH
In case some of you have not noticed, the newest brand of protein "shots"/"bullets" from Pure Protein are engaged ins ome sahdy marketing.  Despite the word "whey" in very visible letters on the front of the tube (see www.pureprotein.net/pages/products.aspx), if you look at the ingredients, they are the same as all the other protein tubes... primarily collagen (crap) protein: "Proprietary Protein Blend
(Hydrolyzed Collagenic Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Casein Protein Isolate)"

50g of mostly collagen protein is NOT the same as 50g of whey protein isolate or even 50g of soy protein.  Please do not risk your health (remember, your body will take its daily protein needs from your msucles if you do not consume enough, and your heart is a muscle) or your hair (protein deficiency can exacerbate the post-op hair loss phase)... and do not waste your calories... on this inferior protein (that your body may or may not even be able to absorb)!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Michelle E.
on 5/17/11 5:20 am
I never trusted those bullets looking things anyway.. Thanks for the heads up!
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/17/11 5:34 am
Yeap. What Lora said.
And they taste like crap...
At least - if you need to use substandard proteins - make sure you do that because they taste so gooood.... lol... but that only when you know you are already getting good proteins and the rest is just a bonus...lol...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 5/17/11 6:22 am - OH
I don't think there are any bullets/shots that are MOSTLY or ONLY whey.  I don't think you can fit that much whey in that small a container.  Whey protein takes up most room than collagen.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 5/17/11 6:41 am - Germantown, MD
 Second, third, and fourth that motion! And just for S&G, I tried one of those "whey" bullets once and it tasted like arse!!! What a waste of shelving space and money..... Just gonna stick to greek yogurt when I need more concentrated protein...

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

lynnc99
on 5/17/11 6:56 am
Lora, this is totally off topic but I have not been around much lately....last week you asked about Baby Bel cheese or something similar. FYI the price at Costco is very reasonable - 28 little baby bels for under $10. Just in case you're interested or near a Costco!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/17/11 7:25 am - OH
We don't have Costco here, but I was able to get someone from work to take me to Sam's and got 22 for $8+ (so I bought two bags)!  Thanks for the info, though!

Lora

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/17/11 8:16 am
Love them.  but now my BF also loves them... started buying 2 times what I need...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/22/11 12:00 am - OH
Even if your "nutritionist" (some are nothing more than dieticians!) "recommended" them, if you THINK the "shots"/"bullets" you are using are whey protein, LOOK at the ingredients.  If it says anything about collagen (in any form) as the first type of protein mentioned, it is almost all collagen protein and therefore not worth your money (or your calories) because you will NOT be getting anything even CLOSE to the amount of protein that they want you to THINK you are... which means you are probably not getting in enough protein each day!

Lora

Laura in Texas
on 5/22/11 12:08 am
So what EXACTLY are we to look for on the label?  And what are some brands/types that do have the right protein?  I still get confused!!  

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 140 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?