OT:One proposal done, the other one... well, do I really NEED a PhD?!?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/18/11 10:56 am, edited 5/17/11 11:36 pm - OH
This afternoon I submitted my proposal for the state counseling conference in November. I had trouble coming up with a title, but finally settled on "When Losing the Weight Isn't Enough: Helping "Veteran" Weight Loss Surgery Clients Conquer the Psychological Challenges". Hopefully the abstract (which can only be 700 characters!) will make it clear that "veteran" has nothing to do with military service... but I needed to make it clear that this presentation deals with those who are several years out and done losing rather than early post-ops (I did a presentation on early post-op psych issues at the conference 2 years ago).

As far as the dissertation proposal.... well, I asked for an extension (which I should get without too much hassle since the person who was supposed to be my primary advisor retired rather abruptly). I really wanted to get it done, but I'm having trouble focusing and on narrowing down the scope of the topic. Some days even writing about trauma can be a bit depressing (especially in the middle of monsoon season! is the sun ever going to shine in Ohio again?!?) It;s pretty bad when I would rather mow the grass than work on the proposal... I keep wondering if I really NEED a PhD... but I have already put in so much classroom time and work...

I confess, though, that I have also been distracting myself with new car shopping...

Lora
(edited for typos, typos, typos!)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

needtoloseweight
on 5/18/11 11:01 am - Oxon Hill, MD
Yes you do really need a PhD and we really do need the data you will provide to the world.  So, get to typing!

Carrie W.
on 5/18/11 1:51 pm - KY
^this.
Lady Lithia
on 5/18/11 11:07 am
Hubs got his coursework done for his..... but never finished his thesis.... he regrets it

You're so close, it's not worth ditching!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Amy R.
on 5/18/11 11:34 am

I'm with the other two - you're so obviously gifted, it would be a shame to stop just short of your PhD.  Enjoy your extension, maybe you just need a little extra time.  You HAVE been dealing with some other issues recently so maybe just having the pressure alleviated will help?

Oh, and a HIJACK and OT to Lithia - Whatever happened with your job?  Did you get the new position?  You probably posted about it, but I must have missed it.

Lady Lithia
on 5/18/11 1:48 pm
Principal decided to give the promotion to a new-hire from out of the district and spit on my ten years of seniority, and my six years of administrative experience.

I almost chose to apply for a job elsewhere that would have resulted in a $25 K raise..... but I'd already signed a contract for next school year, so I didn't. But now that I've seen the type of job that is available for someone with my educcation, experience, and skills.... I am going to be looking seriously to other types of jobs far higher up the totem pole than the job I was passed over for

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Amy R.
on 5/19/11 12:28 am
Wow.  I can't BELIEVE that they would do that to you with all of  your experience and such.  Was that the "younger" person you were talking about who got the job?  I'm sorry they treated  you like that. I just don't understand the way people reason in their hiring/promoting decisions.

Good for you for having the integrity to stay with the contract you signed though.  That doesn't happen much any more and it just shows your character.  You should be proud of yourself.  And, of course, use this upcoming year to get ready to make a MAJOR move next spring.  MAJOR =)
Jewel_in_hiding
on 5/18/11 11:31 am - Raleigh, NC
I understand where you are coming from.  I am in the middle of my dissertation and hoping that I will be done by August (my degree is Finance).  Lately, I have had a lot of those days where I ask myself why I am putting myself through it.  Just remember, you have come to close to give it up now.  IT IS WORTH IT!!!
Top is my progress, Bottom is to Surgeon's Goal

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 12:35 pm
Go Lora, go Lora, go Lora!!!

You've worked long and hard to get to this point... and while I'm sure it's tempting, I think you'll totally regret it if you let off the accelerator at this point in the ride.

YOU CAN DO IT!  As we've heard here so many time, YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS!  Wow, I'm so in awe... everything you've accomplished already is impressive and this will be the icing on the cake!

Can't wait to hear how happy you are once you've finished what you so ambitiously started.... I'm rooting for you, Lora.

tori
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/18/11 12:50 pm - OH
Thanks, Tori.  I really needed that pep talk... and didn't even really know it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views