omg..... these seizure posts have got me really freaked out

KM724
on 6/14/11 12:49 am
I just read that post about seizures being a side effect of RNY. I am completely petrified now. this is such a scary thing. now everytime i get a little headache im going to be thinking of that. whats everyone else think  about this??

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

1SushiDiva
on 6/14/11 12:56 am - MD
I didnt read that post and I know quite a few who have had this surgery no rumors of seizures.
catje1977
on 6/14/11 1:26 am - Raamsdonksveer, Netherlands

KM, please also be sure to read the answers in that post: yes, there ARE people who get Rh and seizures after RNy but most do not. Try to see it in perspective.

Like I said: you are trading one set of medical problems for another when you get WLS, you just hope the new set is the better one.

I was very anxious in the beginning with stomach pain: every time I thought I had some fatal complication. It weras off over time, you get used to it, really!!

hope this helps a bit

luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/14/11 1:42 am - Canada
I am right there with you feeling scared....i was up late last night reading...i am scheduled for ryn in less than three weeks...and now i am wondering if the sleeve is a better choice....i just keep thinking that there is risks on any surgery.....and i wonder what the stats are on how many people  get seizures.....
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/14/11 2:04 am
There are no stats... as they are no starts that RH is a side effect of RNY.  But - IMO - the RH is a major issue post op RNY. Most of the time RH may happen 10-18 months post op. It seams like the longer post op RNY you are - the better chance to have RH. 
Some blame the people regains on RH. (too much insulin makes body to store more fat and makes us hungry , forcing us to eat,. forcing us to eat food with carbs and fat).

One day - that may be recognized as a severe RNY side effect...

And it is not "simple sugars" that will always cause that. So called " complex, good carbs may also cause that
That is in my case - any starchy carbs - more than10 gr may cause severe RH even if - when eaten with fat and proteins.
I am a lucky one - I still can control the RH with diet.  Very strict diet - but still manageable.   I found out what I can- can't eat and how much. And also - what do I need to do so I can exercise.. (have to eat some carbs - again not too much - before I exercise) And so on...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/14/11 2:10 am - Canada
what is rh and imo....i am still learning and not sure what they are
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/14/11 2:26 am
RH - reactive hypoglycemia
BS - blood sugar (when used in same post that quotes RH)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

catje1977
on 6/14/11 2:45 am - Raamsdonksveer, Netherlands
IMO is In My Opnion

Pamela S.
on 6/14/11 2:21 am - Virginia Beach, VA
My daughter had epilepsy years before her RNY. She was not effected one way or the other afterward. I think the VERY few that it happened to, had something going on before hand.
T. Deeds
on 6/14/11 2:23 am
I have epilepsy and had the RNY surgery and haven't had a problem with any seizures after the surgery.  Typically, doctors don't like to prescribe any medications or do any procedures that would induce a seizure in someone with epilepsy and since my surgeon knew full well about my epilepsy, I don't think there is much weight to the claims that RNY can cause seizures.  As a responsible physician, she would have told me about the problem if there was one.  Furthermore, a quick search of the Epilepsy Foundation's website for "gastric bypass" and "RNY" turns up nothing. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 245 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 144 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?