need feedback on pain level and ER

poet_kelly
on 6/22/11 10:25 am - OH
I hate going to the ER too.  Especially the one in my town - small town, just one crappy hospital.  But I hate driving 30 minute to the next with an ER, too.

Here's how I decide.

If I have symptoms I think require medical treatment that cannot wait until I can see my doctor, I go to the ER.  Like when I felt certain I was dehydrated from vomited all night long and was really dizzy and weak feeling, I felt I needed IV fluids.  And the ER doc agreed.

If I am in so much pain it's not bearable.  Like when my back hurt so bad I lay down on the bathroom floor and then could not get up.  It's not like I could lie there on the bathroom floor all day, right?  Or when I had spend three or four hours curled up in a ball on the couch sobbing because my stomach hurt so bad.

Only you know how much pain and distress you're in.  If the pain is keeping you from sleeping and making you miss work, you need treatment.  Can you wait to see your own doctor?  Or is the pain not really tolerable for another night?

If your mom not liking the ER is an issue, is there anyone else that could take you?  But if not, I'm guessing even though she doesn't like the ER, she'd rather take you than have you suffer unbearably.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rebecca H.
on 6/22/11 10:27 am
I hate that you are in so much pain. I'm a newbie and don't have anything to offer except prayers and if I lived close by I would drive you to the ER if you needed someone to take you. Will be thinking about you. Keep us posted on your you're doing.
Lady Lithia
on 6/22/11 10:28 am
Lora, even though Oxycontin is time-release, I was surprised at how much of a difference teh tiniest dose of oxycontin helps me with my chronic pain condition. I still take 5 mg Norco for breakthrough pain, but a single 10 mg oxycontin in the morning sees me through the day far better than numerous doses of non-time-release meds.

I hate the ER too. Since you know that it is likely adhesions, you know that the likelihood of having something help you via the ER is pretty minimal. If you have a surgeon working with you to get the adhesions seen to, you might try toughing it out.

I hate hate HATE the "you're a drug seeker" mantra. I've only been dealt that once, but it really pissed me off. Strangely enough, at that point in my life I was not suffering from chronic pain, and the typical perscription of ten pain pills would last me a year. But I was in pain.

Good luck.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Amy R.
on 6/22/11 10:31 am
Lora, if the pain is bad enough to wake you up at night it's time to go to the ER. Any pain that causes sleep disturbance at that level generally indicates something serious enough to require immediate medical attention.

Hope you feel better soon, and please keep us posted.
immafatgirl
on 6/22/11 10:52 am - KY
what is your pain level.1-10 .
if u are hurting to the point it is altering your life. something needs to be done. i know u hate to ask your mother. but this is your life , you are talking about . i dont know you, but i would sit with you . im sure your mother really doesnt mind . im sure she would want you well taken care of.. please do whatever you need to do to get some kind of help. constant pain is not normal . i wouldnt leave the hospital until they find something out either . even if u have to be admitted.. dont play around with this to long. everyone is concerned about you . 
i hope this subsides really soon... thinking of you .. 
Carebearny1999
on 6/22/11 11:14 am - Rochester, NY
Lora, I agree with the other nice ladies here--if it wakes you up and/or keeps you from sleeping it's worth the trip to the ER. Perhaps while you're there they can get you a surgeon's name for a second opinion? Good luck! Chronic pain SUCKS!
lovinme4ever
on 6/22/11 11:15 am
What ever it is I hope you are able to figure it out soon. I wish and pray for your speedy recovery.
Lovinme4ever    
Kathy M.
on 6/22/11 11:28 am - summershade, KY
Hope you get to feeling better soon  and I think you need to go take a trip to the ER

Kathy M

anabeth413
on 6/22/11 11:33 am, edited 6/22/11 11:34 am - brielle , NJ

i dont usually post alot but i do read and lurk about and find that you are always very helpful towards others here and i always look forward to your responses on alot of things cause i think your a very smart lady and you...well you just know your **** in plain english ...soooo in my ahole opinion you should get yourself to the er so they can run tests on you right away and try to find out what is going on with you..your mom will understand and be there for you cause thats what moms do! i really hope they find out the what the problem is with you and you get back on track with your health fast! :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 11:57 am

I know what you mean about the ER, I hate going there too. But sometimes you have to go. I hate to hear about you being in so much pain. the pills of vicodin does not last long with me, so I had my doctor give me liquid vicodin which goes right in your system. I hope and pray you get some much needed relief.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 574 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 294 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views