need feedback on pain level and ER

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/11 8:45 am - OH
I have been having a lot of this mysterious belly pain this week.  Several months ago, my PCP increased my prescription for Vicodin (originally just for my knee for when the Tramadol is not enough) so that I would have enough to also help me through these bouts of belly pain until we can find a way to resolve it.  So I have been taking the Vicodin for several days now.  It helps for about 3 hours after I take it (and works reasonably well during that time), but it just does NOT last as long as it did before my RNY.  I did not sleep much last night because of it, so between the lack of sleep, continuing pain, and the depression I stayed home from work today.  Both last night and this afternoon, I ended up taking two pills instead of one because one was just not enough (even with a Tylenol PM added in) and I was SO sick of being in pain and wanted to sleep.

My mom would be the one I would need to call to take me to the ER... and she HATES going to the ER (I can't blame her), so I hesitate to go unless I really NEED to. I have been through this a couple of times before already... you spend HOURS there, they do a CT scan and/or ultrasound and don't see anything, give you a shot of morphine, and send you home... and charge you a small fortune (I have to pay 20% of the bill).  Since I have done this 3 times in the past 15 months, I am a bit worried that if I go in again they will start to think I am drug seeking (although I personally wouldn't think someone who came in only once every 5 months is drug seeking... but I worry about it anyway).  Right now,I would really like something to kill the pain so I could sleep peacefully for more than an hour or two, but I also REALLY hesitate to drag my mom to the ER.

I'm having trouble figuring out what to do (probably partly because I took the extra Vicodin). Just need some feedback...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dee2011
on 6/22/11 8:52 am - PA
Lora,  If the pain is that bad and the vicodin aren't getting you through then I would either call your doctor or go the ER.  You are the only one that can tell the severity of the pain, but I wouldn't mess around with it.  Take care and feel better.  Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

dkwilliams1
on 6/22/11 10:18 am - AK
I agree- I hope you feel better soon.  
Debra   

nfarris79
on 6/22/11 8:55 am - Germantown, MD
 Would your PCP feel ok with giving you Oxycontin? May help better with the pain management. At least pulling out the big guns until the cause can be eliminated. But to suffer so bad for so long is torturous, so maybe the trip to the ER is worth the price & aggravation, just to get that morphine and a good night's sleep.
(and yeah, feel you on the drug-seeker-phobia. I had a PCP *****fused to give me a few days worth of Ambien the week of my wedding and instead wrote me a sleep study referral for my insomnia and basically called me a drug seeker. For 3 pills of a sleep med that I never had in my life? Um, yeah, it was stress causing the insomnia. You know, because of MY FRIGGEN WEDDING. He didn't stay my PCP for long.)

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/11 9:46 am - OH
I'm not sure what he would do if I asked.  I think he knows me well enough (and long enough) to know that I am not just seeking a cheap high, but part of me says that if Vicodin doesn't help the pain enough, then he and I really need to push to move to "the next level" in terms of finding the actual problem and fixing it!  At least if I go to the ER, they can let the surgeon know that I am there and in a significant amount of pain... (since I don't expect the upper GI to show anything)

(Glad you dumped that PCP, BTW!  Jerk.)

Paul C.
on 9/30/11 4:04 am - Cumming, GA
have you discussed Roxicette (sp)  Being a liquid you might more fully benefit from it.

Hoping things eventually turn around for you.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
HolliM
on 6/22/11 4:18 pm - Red Bush, KY
I was told Ambien would interact with some meds I'm on I need sleep ! Dang it. I'm living on 1 hr a night if I'm lucky. IF

I'd go to ER. My mom is the same she HATES the ER and the routine of the ER and I too have that fear of them thinking I'm a drug seeker. I don't "like" to take drugs. It's a HAVE to thing if that.
Mine is Migraine pains. : (
~hollim

Highest Weight 335                      When I came home 330.2
Surgery Weight 321.4                   Current 170
www.myspace.com/hma82

Carla M.
on 6/22/11 9:34 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
It may sound weird, but try getting Bentyl or Levsin. They slow down your intestines and/or stop intestinal spasms. The symptoms you described in one of your other posts sound very similar to something I've had. I take Bentyl now and the pain has gone away. Intestinal spasms won't make you have to go to the bathroom more, but they cause what seems like a tightness and deep pain.

Just a suggestion. Hope you start feeling better! I know the feeling of "sick and tired of being sick and tired"...it stinks!

Sending good thoughts and well wishes your way!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/11 9:40 am - OH
Already tried the Bentyl... no effect.  I do appreciate the suggestion, though.  You never know what someone might suggest that you have NOT tried that might help.

Lora

Carla M.
on 6/22/11 9:43 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with

What a bummer! Has anyone tried to see if you have adhesions? You mentioned that before, but noone was acknowledging that possibilty. I truly wish I could help you feel better. I'll be praying for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 9 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views