seeing new doc on Wed for belly pain; worried he won't do anything

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/27/11 9:24 am - OH
It's a long story (and I am still piecing things together to try to figure out exactly what is going on, and do not want to publically speculate), BUT... bottom line is that I have to see a different surgeon about my belly pain (since my RNY surgeon refuses to remove adhesions).  I called the office of the general surgery practice that I had used several times before my RNY (and that my RNY surgeon used to be a part of), and was told that only 2 of their 4 surgeons will do adhesion removal.  I had actually hoped to see one of thenew younger surgeons there (who did my mom's gallbladder removal), but he is one of the 2 who does NOT do such surgery.  My other 2 choices were the surgeon I had used for removal of several lipomas and for a pevlic mass (and an ovary) -- who is an EXCELLENT surgeon but is older and I therefore cannot help but wonder about how much of his surgery is done laparoscopically (none of the ones I had with him COULD be done anything but open) -- or the soon-to-be-ex-husband of my RNY surgeon (who did my gallbladder removal, but... well, even though I am sure he would be completely professional, I would just feel very awkward since it is apparently a very ugly divorce).

So, I have an appt for Wed afternoon with the older surgeon.  I really like and trust him... but I have been in such pain for most of the last week (and off and on for over a year!), that I am SO afraid that he, too, will have some reason for not wanting to remove the adhesions... and I just cannot continue to live like this... it requires too much Vicodin and too much sick time at work (that I just do not have at this point). I am very stressed about a number of other things already... and it is almost becoming a feeling of desperation to get SOMEONE to do SOMETHING about this pain.  I did not worry much about getting approved for my RNY because my BMI was so high and I clearly met the criteria, but I imagine this is how some people feel who are NOT sure about getting approved but want it so badly ... the sense of "what in the world am I going to do if I cannot have this surgery?!?"

We have pretty much done every test available (several twice) to rule out other causes, so it really isn't so much a question of whether that is the problem... just whether or not he feels it is appropriate to try to remove the scar tissue.

At least I only have 2 more days to wait.  Just needed to vent a little...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ObiMomKenobi
on 6/27/11 9:40 am
Lora, I really hope that you get the answers you seek with this other surgeon! No one should be told that they have to live with pain. If this surgeon doesn't fix it, look for another. Lets hope he can take care of you!

Amanda :)

nfarris79
on 6/27/11 10:08 am - Germantown, MD
 Remember to take some deep breaths and envision the outcome you want. In theory, age should have nothing to do with deciding what's best for your as his patient..... but...... sometimes the more set in their ways, the harder it is to convince the dr to think outside the box. 
WIth your plastics, you've been there before - surgeries that don't quite make a clear criteria - but it takes finding the right one that will do you best & improve your quality of life. Remind him that's his duty, to improve your life and remove pain!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

CarolineM
on 6/27/11 10:24 am
 Good luck with the appointment. I understand why surgeons are hesitant to do ahesion removal, but this is having a profound effect on your quality of life and ability to work. 

Caroline
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

Lady Lithia
on 6/27/11 10:27 am
I think that one thing that helped me, when I went to see my orthopedic surgeon for a rarely-performed-and-oft-refused-surgery....was to have all my ducks in a row.... Knowlege as to the possible negative repercussions (adhesions might come back in your particular case) and knowlege as to teh potentially deadly repercussions of not getting the surgery (adhesions causing strangulation and death of bowel.) .... If you go in with a clear head, clear reasoning, understanding and knowlege of the possible negative outcomes, you might be lucky when you speak with the surgeon.

It's a tough situation. I wish you luck.

Let us know how it goes. I'm not here much lately, but I always look for your posts.

And just because I'm not here much doesn't mean that I won't be here more in the future. With my stepson visiting a lot of my time is taken up.

*hugs*

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

SweetGirl11
on 6/27/11 2:37 pm
Wishing you all the best and hoping you get the answers you seek!  

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

Kat Kat
on 6/27/11 4:59 pm, edited 6/27/11 6:55 pm - AZ
Hi Lora,

I was so sad to hear about the pain and suffering you have been going through as well as the frustration you've been experiencing. I sincerely hope that the doctors come up with a solution to take your pain away and get you back in good health again. I have read many of your posts in which you've provided excellent advice. You are pioneer and role model to many of us in this forum ,so it seems you have the hard road to pave for many of us which makes you such a valued member of this community. I'm certain that you are being thought of by more people than you can imagine. I am extending my "Best Wishes" for a good outcome and hope the next 2 days pass quickly for you.

Kat
ZenSharon
on 6/27/11 11:37 pm - SW Ohio
Lora,

You know my opinion on this...  this is your body, your life, your pain.  Do NOT let anyone make you feel like this is in your head...  Listen to your body.  And keep talking to the surgeons until you find one that will listen to you.

Seriously, move on from the whackos...  This is your life.

Take care and keep me up to date!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/28/11 3:30 am - OH
Thanks.  I *think* that Dr. Muth will listen... he has never dismissed any of my previous issues/concerns and has always been very compassionate and caring.... I'm just SO sick of being in pain that I think I'm getting myself worked up over a "what if" that (hopefully) is needless worry.  I hope so, especially since I am home again this afternoon with pain AND dry heaves.  Ugh.  Will let you know.

Miss seeing you...!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 191 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 254 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 264 views