3 weeks post op- restroom issues, help!

NextChapterPlease
on 6/29/11 11:57 am - CA
Hi, I am 3 weeks post op today. I have not had ANY issues since coming home with drinking liquids, etc. My bowel movements have not been regular since coming home from the hospital (once every 3 or 4 days). I passed all of the gas ( or so I thought, the first two weeks). I started drinking benefiber 5 days ago. For the last two days I cannot stop going to the restroom. I went back to clear liquids today, and what I think is gas, is actually a trip to the restroom, and I am a little worried. Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal? I was feeling so good, and feel like I took 2 steps back. I used the benefiber that you add to water ( like the crystal light. Only 3 grams of fiber). Is it possible this is what did this to me? Any feedback would be appreciated

deb-t
on 6/29/11 12:29 pm - Sarnia, Canada
Maybe the benefibre is not quite right for you right now.  My surgeon put me on colace, its a stool softener and it seems to make everything move along nicely.  I was one week post op yesterday.  The nurses at the hospital told me its not uncommon to go 3 to 4 days in the beginning until you actually start eating food.  If in doubt contact your dietician.  Best of luck
Deb T

aprillynn04
on 6/29/11 12:56 pm - OH
We had surgery on the same day! I had a similar experience except mine started 1 week after surgery while I was still on the full liquid diet. I could not stop going! I went to my PCP and she ran a bunch of tests (which were all negative). It took about 6 days before it stopped completely. I had been taking Colace up to that point and stopped it. Maybe you should stop the Benefiber and see if it stops. Make sure you are drinking extra fluids to make up for your loss. Hope this helps.

nana2boys
on 6/29/11 1:36 pm
Benefiber always give me the runs.  I used the one Like cyrstal light.  just poured into water. 
Koko M.
on 6/30/11 1:02 am - Albany, CA
I think that at three weeks it may be kinda premature to expect normal regularity anyway. I say this because you didn't actually say that you started with benefiber due to constipation.  If you started taking simply as a matter of course, or because many or even most RnY patients get constipated, I think you might just want to stop with the laxatives and/or softeners.  Not everyone winds up needing them, and if hard, bulky stools or pervasisve constipation have not been an issue for you, you may simply be giving yourself the runs from treating a non-existant problem.

Of course, if you have been badly blocked up, and that's why you started with the benefiber, um... well then, never  mind.

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 348 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 235 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics