1 month post op, need gall bladder removed

NextChapterPlease
on 7/3/11 6:08 pm - CA
I'm a bit shocked and upset. I went to the ER last night and had a CAT scan performed due to pain in my left side. Turns out I have a gallstone and they wanted to admit me and have me gallbladder removed last night. I decided I wanted my surgeon to perform the surgery, and took pain meds and anti nausea medication to get through the holiday weekend until I can go to the office on Tuesday. I am scared to death of having another surgery after RNY. It was so painful for me, and I can't even think straight. Has anyone had their gallbladdere removed after WLS surgery? Was is painful? Is the pain comporable to the RNY surgery? Please forgive my panicked post.....Just really nervous and feeling scared about the pain after surgery.

WildHeart101
on 7/3/11 9:31 pm - Lexington, KY
I'm sure that someone else who has experienced this will reply but I do know that it is not unusual.  One of the women I work with had hers removed BEFORE her surgery because her gallbladder decided it wasn't liking the high protein diet. 
Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

Patti Johnson
on 7/3/11 10:50 pm - Mooers, NY
Hi, I just had mine out 1 month and 1 day sine my RNY. The gall bladder pain is totally gone already, yes I do have a lot of muscle pain but it is not as bad as the RNY. It will so be worth it when it is done. Ihad not been able to keep anything down for 8 days and now i  have kept down my breakfast.have it done and I hope you feel better soon! 
  Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120            
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/3/11 11:02 pm - OH
I had my gallbladder out about 2 years after my RNY.  My gallbladder surgery recovery was pretty easy (but I had open RNY so I cannot compare the two). 

Just take a deep breath.  If the gallbaldder needs to come out, it needs to come out.  (If your pain was not well-controlled aftrer your RNY surgery, maybe having another surgeon do the gallbladder (who would be more responsive to your pain) might be a GOOD idea.)  The worst pain I have EVER experienced (even worse than kidney stones) was the pain from pancreatitis (and one of the two times I had it, it was because a gallstone was caught in the duct).  You do NOT want that (especially since the treatment is to just lay in the hospital on an IV and not being allowed to eat or drink ANYTHING for 3-5 days).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lcat4
on 7/3/11 11:23 pm
Gall Bladder removal is common after WLS. My pain post GB surgery was nothing compared to the GB pain pre surgery. And didn't even compare to WLS surgery.
MarilynT
on 7/4/11 12:46 am
This is so common I think they should be removed routinely when having WLS .... I thank goodness my surgeon did!

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

NextChapterPlease
on 7/4/11 2:18 am - CA
Thanks for everyones response. I really apprecitate it. Waiting for my doctors office to open tomorrow and making the appointment to have it removed.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 348 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 235 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics