Seriously? Really?

shellbell75
on 7/13/11 12:00 am, edited 7/13/11 12:06 am
I swore I wouldn't do this but.....Here it is.

I must be the ONLY person to have WLS and not lose weight. I will be 3 weeks PO on Friday. Umm, I have lost a whopping 8 lbs. I am getting all of my fluids in, vits and protein. I am still on a soft diet. I am so frustrated I could cry. I try not to compare myself to others but when see post like "2 weeks post op and down 20 lbs"   What is wrong with me??
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Dave Chambers
on 7/13/11 12:03 am - Mira Loma, CA
You cannot compare wt loss with another post op at any time.  Too many factors involved. I noted your starting wt, and it's likely your wt loss will be less due to your lighter starting wt. Those 20 pound wt losses you refer to are likely patients who began at well over 300 pounds. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

kgee
on 7/13/11 12:08 am - MD
 I"m almost 4 weeks post op (seems longer....) and I am just coming off a 3 week stall.  All the weight I've lost came off during my preop diet and first post op week.  I've read almost every discussion thread I could find on stalls and it happens to alot of WLS patients.  .

Keep your motivation up and get tha****er and protein in.  The weight will come off!

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 12:09 am - TX
Stay the course, and stay off the scale. I had 13 lbs of fluid on me postop for more than two weeks, then a big loss the two weeks after that, then nothing for two weeks - but over the last 19 weeks its averaged out to over 65 lbs. And I started out at 255.2, very close to your weight. It will come.
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 12:20 am
Well, compared to where I was at that point, you're WAY ahead of me!  I came home form the hospital 19 pounds heavier than when I went in... and it took over 3 weeks to get back to my pre-op weight.  So, if you consider that, you're doing fabulous...

Look at where I am... I've had great success and so will you if you just relax and follow your program.  SIP SIP SIP, walk walk walk, eat what you're supposed to, get in your protein, vitamins and water...

Everyone is different and will lose at different rates... body type also plays into this.  If the stress of seeing the numbers bothers you, don't get on the scale... throw it out!

One thing I've seen posted here on someone's signature line is the honest truth:

"Comparison is the thief of all joy."

Worry about YOU... relax and let it happen.  You didn't gain all the weight in one month... you certainly won't lose it that quickly either.  Work your plan and live life... and it WILL happen.

Best of luck to you.... expect we'll be hearing about how great you've done in 6 months!

tori
shesha81
on 7/13/11 12:21 am - Gardner, MA

Your signature says HW 316 and SW 256, well I am not sure if the highest is at the start of this journey or highest overall that is a big accomplishment!!! You are down 60 lbs already before surgery, so that is a lot for your body to adjust to......when it comes to my story my highest was 284.8, I had surgery at 281, so I only lost 3.8 lbs before surgery, I think that is why it is coming off easier post op my body has not already had to get used to a 60 lb loss!!!! Dont worry I am sure you are doing fine!!! Dont get discouraged be proud of what you have already accomplished !!!

TXKashmir
on 7/13/11 12:23 am - Grand Prairie, TX
Shell, I did not even own a scale until I reached goal. I never knew if I had stalls or lost slowly - so I never got frustrated. I just followed the protocol, and lost 148 pounds. You will do fine!

If the scale is frustrating you, put it away...concentrate on real victories - improved health/mobility, shrinking clothing sizes, compliments - the scale is just a number, and you are worth more than that! (((HUGS)))

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/13/11 12:27 am - Baltimore, MD
Awww Shell. Hugs.

You know at my 2 weeks post op (that was nearly 3 weeks post op) I had lost 12 lbs. I was thrilled. It never occurred to me not to be thrilled by that number.

I think posting here can bite you in the butt in some ways because you can see what other people are experiencing, which is good and bad.

I ONLY lost 12 lbs. that first few weeks. But after a year I'd lost 150. So slow starter, but I finished the race in decent shape.

Think tortoise and hare. Did you ever read that story as a kid?
MommyosaRose
on 7/13/11 12:35 am
As the other members mentioned, you shouldn't compare your weight loss to someone else's because there are too many variables; different metabolisms, different genes, different plans, etc...

With RNY surgery you WILL lose weight, you just have to give it time. Keep up with your plan, be sure to meet your protein and fluid goals. Take your vitamins and stay off the scale...you might be losing inches instead of pounds right now. Remember, the heavier you are the more you lose.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the journey. The weight loss will come and you will feel amazing!  

Best of luck!
Rose

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/13/11 1:23 am - Windsor, Canada
Trust me, 6 months from now, things will be different.

Long term results are what counts. Put your scale away and focus on making POSITIVE, healthy changes, following your goals for water/protein and exercising.

The weight will come off in time.

I gained 11 lbs after surgery from fluid. 

I still ended up losing 140 or so lbs at the year out mark.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views