Post 1 or begining the journey

BigSilly
on 7/14/11 12:46 am - California, MD

Hi board, I have been lurking for a few days and thought I would jump on in, I am a 44 yr old male currently at 300 lbs, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and have sleep apnea...

Recently visited my new PCP as my old PCP was not a part of the new insurance my employer recently signed up with.
After spending an hour + with me, taking the time to learn as much of medical history that he could, he asked if I had ever considered WLS, I told him I had considered it most of my adult life, but for one reason or another it just seemed unattainable for me. Whether it was not covered under insurance or partially covered, I have also had more than one doctor dissuade me or my life was just in the way.
He told me, that I should consider it now, in fact, he told me he thinks it will save my life, as I mentioned above I am 44 years old, I have sleep apnea, diabetes and high blood pressure. He told me there is a very good chance that the diabetes will go away within days. There is also a possiblity of all of my ailments vanishing. (I realize this is not a gaurantee, but a possibility)

I have to admit, that when I walked out of his office that first day, I felt better inside, just by him telling me that I should do this and that he was on board with it and supported it was some type of a massive endorphin release mechanism.

This was about 2 weeks ago, I have already contacted the insurance company (United Healthcare Choice Plus) to see if the procedure is covered.
According to them, it is covered AS long as, you have a BMI of 40 (I am at 44) OR you have a BMI of 35 and or Diabetes, High Blood Pressure or Sleep Apnea...
So I run the table as far as requirments go. I am currently researching surgeons and facilities, I have found one that is 2 hours away from home that I am hoping to hear back from soon. I have already viewed thier online informational sessions and I have filled out the pre consultation package. I have also called the insurance company to make sure the surgeon and the facility are covered, which they are 100%.

I realize I have a long long way to go, but just the thought of possibly gaining my life back has put a spring in my step. To be able to get outside and having at least a chance of keeping up with my 11 year old son means the world to me.

Anywho.. sorry for rambling.. My posts should be much shorter and less gabby from here on out..

Mr.Awesome74
on 7/14/11 12:55 am - Canada
Welcome to the forum!

Lisa R.
on 7/14/11 12:57 am - CA
Welcome! You have found the right place for help and support.

I too had type 2 diabetes and HBP, all gone now only 10 weeks outs.  It really is amazing.  I still am not one of the people who say this surgery was the best thing ever.  It was good, but I still kick myself for having to do this instead of being able to do it myself.  

Your journey will be long, frustrating at times, but stick with it and come here for help.

Good Luck 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Amy Smith
on 7/14/11 1:16 am
Welcome!  I remember the day that I made the decision to move forward with this and met with my surgeon for the first time.....it was a natural high.  I am almost 2 years out and it has been quite a journey and I wouldn't have changed it for the world!  Good luck and keep us posted!
ladyprof
on 7/14/11 1:26 am - Marion, AR
Welcome!  I'm awaiting surgery too (on August 29).  You may get your surgery before I do!  Yes, it does put a spring in your step.  I recently started a program of physical training here at the university where I work (we receive training from master's level exercise physiology students) and I was paired up with another trainee who had RNY bypass surgery five years ago.  She lost 175 lbs. and is very active and energetic now!  And really nice too!  It's so encouraging to meet someone in person who has had the surgery and isable to offer help and advice for us newbies.  I really encourage you to seek out a support group meeting in your area.  And I've learned so much from the people on this forum too, valuable recipes, advice on vitamins, and just a sense of what life is like at different stages after the surgery.  It has all helped me move forward with confidence.
See you on the loser's bench!
Debbie

Carrie W.
on 7/14/11 1:40 am - KY
Welcome to the forum!!

Your story is familiar to most of us here.  It was a coworker that made me consider wls.  He had great success and so far, so have I. 

My surgeon and hospital was also 2 hours from me.  The only time I regretted that was the drive home from the hospital! 

Good luck with your journey, ask your questions and take care!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Dave Chambers
on 7/14/11 2:11 am - Mira Loma, CA
Most surgeons who do RNY surgery have seminars to learn about the surgery in general. They usually also sponsor support groups to support their post op patients.  I would highly recommend you attend one of the surgeon's seminars, with as complete a list of questions you might have about the process and post op life. You want to make sure you feel happy about your choice of surgeon, and hopefully your surgeon of choice is a general surgeon, with a lot of expereince doing RNY.  If you attend monthly support meetings prior to surgery, you'll be much more prepared for the first few weeks post op.  Education is the key to a better transition to your post op lifestyle.  This surgery does require life long supplements and annual lab reports to track vitamin levels in your body.  I'd also recommend a bone density scan to get a baseline for future comparison so you can adjust your calcium and other supplments to prevent a decline in bone strength.  I truly wish I could have had my surgery at 44, but I was "born too early", as my insurance failed to cover RNY until about 6 year ago. This meant I had surger just under 60, with a BMI of 39.5, with sleep apnea, high bp, cholesterol issues, joint swelling, family history of diabetes, etc.  Done well with post op life, with one minor exception. My low bp readings led to dizzy spells and fainting, which had an end result of a pacemaker implant and back on bp meds.  160 pounds lost, down from 365 to 205, no more sleep apnea or joint swelling, no more cholesterol issues or threat of diabetes--life is pretty good. BUT, I do rely heavily on my monthly support meetings for continues success. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

dasie
on 7/14/11 2:20 am
Good for you for making this life changing decision.  When I began my journey my BMI was right at 35.  Because I was so concerned I would not be approved, I asked a couple doctors, other than my PCP, to write letters that could be included when my documentation was presented to my insurance company.  I remember how thrilled I felt when the first one said absolutely and also thought my decision was a great one.  Just her encouragement made the difference.  Since that time other physicians have echoed her words.  Although my high blood pressure did return by the end of my first year post op, my cardiologist said the surgery was a great benefit and how much worse off I would be had I never lost all the weight.  Your life will change in ways you cannot imagine.  Welcome to the Boards.

BigSilly
on 7/14/11 3:37 am - California, MD
Thank you all for welcoming me to the board and for the words of encouragment. I am looking forward to the future, it is awesome to read of your wonderful success stories. Hopefully I too will have a success story to share one of these days.
Most Active
Recent Topics