I miss eating

C J
on 7/17/11 9:24 am - Franklin, MA
Just over six months out (and down 75lbs)but lately... I've been feeling sad.

I love my RNY and wouldn't change it for the world. I knew with surgery would come sacrifice but... sometimes I miss the overindulgence, junk, carbs and crap that got me to 287Lbs!!  If I were to indulge, would the repercussion be worth it?   Absolutely not but it doesn't make that feeling of desire go away.

Support group meeting tomorrow and appointment with my shrink later this week... thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!

MastoDon
on 7/17/11 9:33 am - Los Gatos, CA
Listen carefully to all those voices, please.
We food addicts will NEVER be out of the woods.  If you don't overindulge once, you won't have to deal with the guilt and other issues that would come later.
Have a can of V8.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

Jodi H.
on 7/17/11 10:16 am - Apache Junction, AZ

I'm almost 7 weeks out - down 43 lbs - & I miss food too so don't feel alone.  I too LOVE my RNY & seeing the scale move down & that feeling outweighs everything! 

Jodi ** HW: 240 / CW: 221 / GW: 135
shannon0731
on 7/17/11 10:59 am - LA
Do you have a support group in your area that you can attend? My surgeons do and it is a god-send for getting though issues like this. I have learned it was not so much the food as it was the just mindless picking that I did. I have had to find other things to do with my hands.. right now, it is mostly reading, but I plan on starting up my cross stitching again. did you keep a pre op outfit? I would say every time that urge hits, go try it on--see how it falls off of you!! That has got to make you feel awesome!!

Good luck!
Shannon
I'm Ready!

Dave Chambers
on 7/17/11 11:39 am - Mira Loma, CA
Depression is quite common with post ops.  In fact, you likely had some depression prior to surgery, without realizing it much.  I would not indulge at 6 months, just stick to protocol. That does not mean you cannot indulge at a later date. You just have to remember the lifestyle change that comes with the surgery. One or two cookies would be ok, but self control is needed so you don't end up eating the whole bag.  We've all been through this to some degree. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Lisa R.
on 7/17/11 11:51 am - CA
I'm not depressed at all, not one bit and I miss food.  Maybe not so much food as I miss the sitting with friends at a restaurant and eating a meal and really enjoying it.  It sucks to take 5 bites of something and be done with it, but then again it is great too.

There is nothing wrong with loving food, or liking the feeling that it gives to you.  At my support group we discussed how to change our thinking so we can think more like a thin person.  Thin people love food too they just think about it differently then "overweight" people do.  

You have to redefine your relationship with food.  You are not alone.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
fiveholts714
on 7/17/11 12:10 pm - St. George, UT
I feel that way and I am 2 years out. You go through periods of withdrawal and mourning.
Kim H.
on 7/17/11 1:39 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I really appreciate your post. I'm one week out exactly and although I'm not physically hungry I really miss the taste of food and the enjoyment it brought. I'm feeling the loss of food and at the same time the power of my obsession with it. I thought I would have more freedom from this but alas, it's still with me. It's really like going cold turkey off a drug. I hope it gets better. Therapy and support group tomorrow so, I'm hoping that will help a bit. It's interesting how much my life needs to change now... I used to schedule everything around food... now I'm just seeing everything in a different light. I'm trying to relax and realize these feelings will pass. I physically can't indulge but I really hope with time I will get some mental freedom, too. Thanks for sharing...it helps to know I'm not alone.
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 6:54 am - Boston, MA
 I miss it too..simple things like popcorn at the movies or stopping with the kids for ice cream on a hot day.. feels like all the things like that are gone!  I don't miss the huge plates of dinner and feeling stuffed and barely able to move after most dinners though!!  
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 219 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?