Help! Last minute change of heart?!?!

frostylost
on 7/20/11 8:41 pm

I am panicking for the first time since I started this ball rolling 6 months ago. I am scheduled for RNY on 8/29 and have been looking so forward to it. The problem....I just found out by reading another forum that my insurance (NCBCBS) just revised their policy this month to cover VSG, it is no longer considered investigational by their guidelines. Now I don't know what to do...the sleeve was my first choice but I opted for RNY since VSG was'nt covered at the time I started this whole process. And up until this point I was really psyched and ready to do it, I was comfortable with this 2nd choice. I still believe RNY is a great option and the only reason I favored VSG more is I did'nt want to not ever be able to take NSAID's again (since arthritis seems hereditary in my family) and less worry with vitamins. UGH! Now I am so confused and don't know which way to turn. My surgeon does both types of surgeries but since I am already scheduled for RNY if I want to switch to VSG now would I have to start the whole insurance  approval process over again? And if so would this cause a big delay in my surgery being rescheduled? Does anyone know or ever had a similar situation??

~I live each day in victory...because of the one who died for me~

HW: 289    SW:276    CW: 222  GW: 135~~~~~Monthly lbs lost> M1=15 M2=15 M3=14
Price S.
on 7/20/11 9:01 pm - Mills River, NC
I wanted a sleeve but ended up with a RNY because of insurance.  My Dr could have cared less with one he did.  It didn't take me over a few days to get approval and so that may or may not slow you down.

I have been so happy with my RNY, I certainly won't say it was a mistake to get one.  I could do a band or RNY and I made the right choice at the time. 

Your only way to know the answer to your questions is to call your surgeon's insurance person and see how long they think it will take and if it will change your place on the surgery schedule. 

Good luck in whatever you choose.  Either choice is a move towards being healthy.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/11 9:03 pm - OH
You would not have to start the WHOLE process over, in terms of any required 3-mont of 6-months diet/nutrition/etc. requirements that are THE SAME foor your insurance for RNY and VSG, but WOULD have to re-submit for insurance approval, obviously, and do anything that is specifically required for approval of a VSG that was NOT required for the RNY.  Only your insuranbce company can tell you what those things might be.  (Your surgeon's office MIGHT know what is required if they have already worked on VSG approvals with your insurance specific plan before, but since they very recently approvbed VSG, that's probbaly not likely).

Call the insurance company, explain ths issue, and ask them what you would ahve to do.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

hisxmorticia
on 7/20/11 9:47 pm - FL
i did my second choice first, lapband & i greatly regret it. but i had no choice at the time. im self pay & the sleeve was much cheaper, but rny is what ive wanted, so i went with my first choice, even if it meant spending alot more $. so basically im saying go with your first choice, who cares if you have to start over? do what YOU want to do. but if you decide to stay with rny, embrace it & dont even think about the sleeve ever again or you might regret your decision later. GL with whatever you choose.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
seashell6417
on 7/20/11 10:29 pm - Gaylord, MN

When I started the process of deciding which surgery was right for me I was in the same boat.  I finally determined VSG was the right surgery for me (same reasons...NSAIDS, vitamins, etc.) but my insurance did not cover it.  I went forward w/ RNY and now know that was absolutely the right decision for me.  I know you are anxious to get moving w/ this HUGE life change but take the time you need to make the decision that is right for you.  If insurance approval and jumping through another hoop or two pushes surgery back a few weeks it will be a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing you made an informed decision and selected the surgery that you feel in your heart is the one for you.  Best of luck in your journey to a healthier life!

Tami

Laura in Texas
on 7/20/11 10:46 pm
I would call your surgeon and ask his opinion, if you haven't already.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

laura_vermont
on 7/20/11 10:46 pm
I would have a heart to heart with my doctor, not necessarily the surgeon, about which would be best for me.  And, if VSG is the right choice, I would wait. 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Vivian Prouty
on 7/20/11 11:03 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Hello,

If you truly want the sleeve.    That is the surgery that you should get.   I am no expert but I doubt that you would have to reschedule anything.    Seems like since you have done the 6 months process for your insurance co.  I would assume all they will have to do is change the surgery code.   As everyone else said....I would call the surgeon's office and discuss this with them.    Also the time required in the OR may be different with the sleeve from the RNY.   good luck to you and please keep us updated on what you find out.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Pam T.
on 7/20/11 11:30 pm - Saginaw, MI
 Just a note about NSAIDS --- even with the sleeve you should avoid NSAIDS after WLS. In fact, people with full size normal stomachs are often advised not to take NSAIDS because of the increased risk of bleeding ulcers, so the smaller area of stomach you have might make that risk even greater. Definitely talk to your surgeon about that issue, but from the reports I've ready it is advised that ALL wls patients avoid NSAIDS for life. 

Some of the studies I've read about vitamin deficiencies are actually showing that long term Sleeve and Band patients are also seeing deficiencies even without a bypass. It has to do with decreased food intake and some unknown chemical/biological issues that they are studying... but just because you choose a non-malabsorptive surgery doesn't mean you're safe from vitamin issues. 

Choose the right surgery for you, of course. But make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. 

Good luck!
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

poet_kelly
on 7/21/11 12:22 am - OH
I doubt it would cause a big delay but I could be mistaken about that.  I don't know if you'd have to submit stuff to the insurance company for approval again or not.  I bet you could call your surgeon's office and they could tell you.

Even if it does cause a delay, personally I think it's worth a delay if necessary to make sure you're making the choice you want.  Your choice here is gonna affect you for the rest of your life.  I think you need to be sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 139 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?