what did you buy before surgery, and wish you had after?

hopiej
on 7/24/11 8:50 am - fort knox, KY
I finally got a date! Aug 26th, I wouldn't buy a thing until I got a date and now that I have one, I am like well hell what do I need versus want? I got some little condiment bowls that are 2 oz, need to go ahead and buy vitamins and supplements, want to find a cup that I like...heard everything from a toddler sippy cup to just a travel cup, to keep stuff cold. I have my eye on a blender that I want to pick up as well. Any other gadgets or gizmos you have that you couldn't do without, or wish you had as soon as you came home from the hospital? Thanks in advance :)
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/11 9:23 am - OH
The only thing I bought before surgery was my vitamins and a variety of samples of protein powders and some soft food items (e.g., sf pudding, sf popsicles, NSA apple sauce, yogurt, etc.).  I did, however, already own a regular blender (I did not use it, though, since I had no pureed stage post-op, and did not like the foam it created when mixing protein shakes).

There is truly NO reason that you must buy special baby spoons, special bowls or plates, or sippy cups (why in the world would an adult need a sippy cup?!?  can people not sip from a regular glass...? sorry, I just don't get it).  I was able to drink my protein shakes in a reasonable amount of time so did not even need a special insulated cup to keep them cold. Very early out I mixed only HALF a shake at a time (which, in addition to the shake being fresh gave me a chacne to experiment a little with adding syrups, etc. to see if I could make them more palatable).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

allvalerie
on 7/25/11 2:32 am - Seward, AK
Hey I bought not one but TWO sippy cups!

I only used one though-

I put my liquid vicoden in it lol

Valerie
shellbell75
on 7/24/11 9:34 am
My best purchase was Unjury Chicken soup protein. YUMMO! Honestly, I am 4 wks post-op and haven't used my blender once. I can't stomach cold drinks, everything has to be room temp. I bought my vitamin package from the hospital during my pre-op class. I couldn't do without sugar-free Popsicle's.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

jazzycatz
on 7/24/11 9:37 am, edited 7/24/11 9:37 am - Joppa, MD

I was definitely glad I had my vitamins and my time release meds had all been switched to regular and filled. 

Definitely need samples of different proteins.  And the sippy cup was suggested by my nut if you had issues with the smell of the whey proteins.  They didn't want us using straws early out so you are a bit limited in your lidded options to drink from without one.  Plus you don't feel so overwhelmed by the amount.  I never got one but I understood why they might suggest it. 

I just eat off of a salad plate and use normal sized utensils. 

I got a blender and it didn't get much use.  Like Lora I had issues with the foam.  But if you just park your shake in the fridge for a bit the foam dissipates.  I just still hated them. 

And I did find a water bottle helpful.  I  have a double walled stainless steel water bottle that is fantastic.   Whatever the materials it's made out of, I strongly recommend double walled insulation. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/11 9:44 am - OH
" And the sippy cup was suggested by my nut if you had issues with the smell of the whey proteins."

Now THAT makes sense.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why a grown adult couldn't sip from a  regular glass... but every time I have read about someone buying a sippy cup it was to be sure they could take small sips only... no one ever mentioned the smell (although I confess that I don't read many of the posts about trouble with protein shakes)!  The one protein powder that I objected to the smell of... I just held my nose and drank it!

Lora

Proudtobaloser
on 7/24/11 10:09 am - Fayetteville, NC
Haven't had mine yet (august 29th).

The things i have now are:

Blender/shaker cup

Vitamins

Heating pad

Cold pack

Food Scale (meat doesnt measure well in OZ in a measuring cup to be honest)

Got new firm pillows for sitting up on AND for holding over my tummy

Tissues (for those crying jags I may or may not get, also come in handy for throwing at the hubby when he irritates me)

Protein powder Samples

TYLENOL rapid release

Cough drops

Puppy pad (these are for sitting on and in the even of a "runny" accident will NOT soak into my furniture, i know I can use a towel to sit on but these are what I prefer)

I have other stuff but can't remember what- these are just the things I have out and about well except the puppypads, those are in a box under my endtable.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

immafatgirl
on 7/24/11 10:43 am - KY
puppy pads and sippycups... i feel so silly . lmao.. but if we dump wont we know it before we mess on ourselves. gosh i sho do hope so. ... this made me giggle . thanks i needed it tho... u guys keep tellin me what i need because i know imma gonna get my surgery
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/11 12:15 pm - OH
I have never heard of anyone actually messing themselves when dumping!

Lora

immafatgirl
on 7/24/11 10:45 am - KY
oops, i was so tickled, i wrote in the wrong place . lol
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 429 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 356 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 282 views