If you were me. Food question

shellbell75
on 7/29/11 1:21 am
Ok, so I have an amazing post-op program and have access to 2 NUTS. So here's the problem, my program states that I should incorporate bread, pasta, crackers, mashed potatoes, etc  into my diet. I am a crab addict. Prior to surgery, that's pretty much all I ate. Hardly any protein. I also have PCOS and my body is very sensitive to carbs.

So IF you were me, would you stay away from refined carbs until later and how long?
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/29/11 1:23 am - Baltimore, MD
I think you're making a common assumption that many people make.

Pasta, bread, crackers, etc. don't necessarily equal refined carbs. There are whole wheat variations of all of those things.

But in the end if you feel uncomfortable integrating starches back into your life, you can get carbs from vegetables, fruit and dairy as well. You should do what you feel is best for you.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Paul C.
on 7/29/11 1:25 am - Cumming, GA
Does it say you SHOULD or you CAN?  I know my plan gave me the option to work whole grains and veggies.  I got to a weight I was comfortable at then added veggies. Breads, rice and pasta I tend to avoid like the plague unless I am exercising or running a race then maybe a piece of toast or something like that.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
shellbell75
on 7/29/11 1:33 am
Hey Nik are you calling me an ASS?

In my sample menus they gave me they have that. My family and I only eat whole wheat products, even prior to my surgery. Now I have no problem getting carbs from fruits and veggies. I am afraid that the others will trigger me. Am I being silly?
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/29/11 1:36 am - Baltimore, MD
See, having a hubby complicates things. I'm a single parent headed household. If I can't moderate it in my eating plan, it doesn't come in my house.

(This is why peanut butter is currently in exile)

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

CarolBeth
on 7/29/11 1:51 am - SoCal, CA
My NUT and doctor say I can have complex carbs (grains, etc.) 3x a week only.  I can have veggies and fruit daily after my protein.  The doc goes so far to say that no matter what the NUT may say, it's ok to just get my carbs from veggies and fruit alone.  They both seem to want me to wait until the weight is off to add in more carbs than what is currently prescribed.  I know that mashed potatoes and bread can trigger me to wanting more carbs, so for ME, I would stay away from them.  But that's just me.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Carrie W.
on 7/29/11 2:13 am - KY
Every plan is different and every person is different.  If you're not comfortable with the carbs, don't eat them! 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

jerseyjuji
on 7/29/11 2:31 am
 I think the goal of the long-term rny diet, for most plans, is to get us to a place where we can incorporate all food groups into our diet in moderation. That being said, I strongly feel (based on my experience) that the one-size fits-all approach most of the nutritionists advocate does not work for many, especially when PCOS and insulin resistance is thrown onto the mix.  If I deviate from a HIGH PROTEIN, VERY LOW CARB (even the complex ones) diet I gain weight, plain and simple.  Even after all of this time, I eat very little fruit. I have really just begun to use low carb veggies to fill up on but stay far away from the higher carb veggies (like corn, peas, potatoes). MY goal is to lose a bit more weight but I am at a point where it isn't going up or down. If my goal was to maintain at THIS weight, I wouldn't be so crazy about carbs because I could figure out how to incorporate them (on a very limited basis) without gaining.  I would say that, if you choose to add some carbs at this point, do it on a very limited basis and pay close attention to how YOUR body reacts.  I take the advice of nutritionists with a grain of salt, as most (all of the ones I have been given advice by) have not personally dealt with obesity or PCOS or weight loss sugery.
poet_kelly
on 7/29/11 3:25 am - OH
Did you ask WHY they say you should eat simple carbs?  Are you sure they are saying you should eat them, or just that you can eat them?  Because I can't think of any reason you should eat them, especially so early out.  I eat those things sometimes now but did not in the beginning.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Paul C.
on 7/29/11 3:45 am - Cumming, GA
There are very few instances where you SHOULD it simple carbs.  I do complex carbs in the form of veggies mainly.  I rarely eat pasta even whole grain  maybe a bite but not really as part of a meal.  I eat fruit but am selective on what fruits I eat when  Berries I eat frequently apples and bananas are for workouts. 

If you focus on getting your protein you will find you have very little room for much else.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 278 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?