Eating too much

Rejoyce
on 8/11/11 10:19 pm - Dayton, OH
I'm still struggling with emotional eating, and am definitely frequently eating too much.  The scale has slowed to a crawl at approximately 5 months out and I know that it is mostly my eating.  Some days I want to eat all day, such as yesterday.  I eat protein, fruits and vegetables, but even the "right" food choices will prevent loss or cause gain if in too much quantity.

I have a teleconference support group that helps, but really need therapy.  However, right now we are paying to maintain our house that is sitting empty, plus paying for repairs on it, plus paying for the apartment we live in, and all the other usual expenses that we all have.  I can't afford to add the cost of therapy sessions, even though I have insurance.

I'm not recording my food in "myfitnesspal".  I am averaging over 1200 calories a day, not a lot over, but over.  I have started exercising regularly, just in the past two weeks.

What else can I do to help myself?  I'm lousy at journal writing, so that isn't likely to happen, but I'm open to other ideas.

Joyce
Life is just a stage I'm going through...
HW:253  SW: 230  CW: 170  GW: 140

dufiedog
on 8/11/11 10:31 pm
As we discussed last night I have no answers for you there.  Having the same trouble.  But I wanted to tell you that the new pic is awesome.  You look great.

laura_vermont
on 8/11/11 10:39 pm
1st, don't be too hard on yourself.  You're still losing, right?  Just slowly?  You've averaged 10lbs a month... if you keep up the same pace, you'll be at goal before the new year. 

Just start logging your food & exercise to see where you're really at.  Honestly, it sounds to me like things are going ok with your weight loss.  Sounds like you have a lot of stress too.  You can try going for a walk when you're stressed or having a glass of water every time you think you're hungry.  Recognizing the emotional eating is a big thing - I have an issue with it too.

Take care,
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Rejoyce
on 8/11/11 10:54 pm - Dayton, OH
Thanks Laura.  I do try drinking something before giving in to eating, but am not good about the walking.  I really need to try that.  I appreciate the support!

Joyce

Laura in Texas
on 8/11/11 10:54 pm
I also think recording your food would help you, but if you refuse then I'm not sure what to tell you. At 5 months out if you're already eating too much and not dealing with why you're doing this, long term success will be hard for you. 

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Rejoyce
on 8/11/11 11:29 pm - Dayton, OH
Laura,

I do record my food in myfitnesspal.  I thought I said that.  It's just the journaling of feelings that I have trouble with doing.  My use of myfitnesspal is what lets me know I'm eating over 1200 calories many days.  I'm aware that long term success will be hard for me if I don't deal with my emotional eating, that is why I post on here and discuss issues in my support group.  I'm sorry you misunderstood my post!

Joyce

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 1:00 am - TX
I was confused too. 1200 calories is still a good calorie range. I am 5 months out and that is what I am eating; but I am burning 400-500 calories a day through exercise. If I eat less than 1000-1200 calories I feel like I can't get the exercise in.

The easiest thing for me is to get the exercise in first thing in the morning. I go to the gym, but walking is FREE and you can do it anytime - along with stuff like pushups, situps, etc. The first day is the hardest and it gets easier everyday. At some point you feel GREAT because you are doing it.

If you can't deal with the exercise I would try to cut my calories to less than 1000 daily and keep logging and get in high protein foods.

I think its harder the further out you get - you can eat more and more, and as soon as you discover that, you WANT to eat more, lol.

You and I are at the same place. I started at 255 lbs and I'm at 183 now. I still have a good 25 lbs to go though and I want to get there.
Rejoyce
on 8/11/11 11:32 pm - Dayton, OH
Laura,

I see where I inadvertently wrote "not" when I meant "now" in reference to myfitnesspal.  No wonder you misunderstood.  Thanks for your concern.

Joyce

Laura in Texas
on 8/12/11 12:02 am
OK, glad to hear you are tracking. So many people need to and don't. I don't track everyday anymore, but I do weigh everyday and if I'm up more than 3 pounds, I track every bite. I am a firm believer in tracking.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

floatinghearts1
on 8/12/11 4:10 am - Fresno, CA
I had a few months where I only lost 5 or 6 pounds, so I started tracking about a month ago and have lost 9 pounds since! Knowing what you're putting in your body makes a huge difference!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 342 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 149 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?