question

Kathy M.
on 8/27/11 8:00 am, edited 8/27/11 8:10 am - summershade, KY

Just got a question are we always going have to do protein shakes I'm having a hard time getting it all in I've done spend a lot of money tring to find one that don't make me sick

Kathy M

Pupcake !.
on 8/27/11 8:05 am - Stranded in, IA
I still do them 8 years later.

The trick is finding one that you can tolerate.

I highly reccomend trying the Magic Bullet to mix with.  I gagged them down until I bit the bullet and bought the bullet :-)

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Kathy M.
on 8/27/11 8:13 am - summershade, KY
I will try that the only thing is I can't drink milkI put it in coffee and pudding  hot chocolate

Kathy M

Pupcake !.
on 8/27/11 8:21 am, edited 8/27/11 8:22 am - Stranded in, IA
I don't use milk with mine, I've always mixed with ice and water.

I used a lot of the Nectars.  Now I nosh on the cheap. EAS pure protein Dutch Chocolate.

8 oz water 1 scoop Protein, 1 tsp instant coffee add ice and blend.

The coffee kills the aftertase of the protein,  and I have iced mocha cappuchino

Good luck, it's trial and error.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

ktharp89
on 8/27/11 8:25 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 I do protein shakes less five months out because i eat a lot of protein in my food but I still need to do them a lot of days. I couldn't drink them for months and tried so any. So any are just nasty. I also can't tolerate them with milk. If you like coffee you should try CLICK. It is coffee flavored protein that is really good. I use syntha-6 vanilla. That is tasty protein powder too. 

Also if you have a vitamin shoppe you can buy a big tub of protein powder and if you don't like it you can exchange it for something else. 
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

nfarris79
on 8/27/11 8:29 am - Germantown, MD
 Get samples of things. You're new out and your tastes will change so some of those you hate right now may be your best friends in a few months. Yeah, it's not cheap but we save money in not eating mass quantities of other foods..... There are people who get most or all of their protein thru foods but it may take you a while to build up to that so in the meantime, just think of your protein as your "medicine".

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

mrslatch
on 8/27/11 8:35 am - Fort Campbell, KY
I do them at 19 months out. If you can't do milk use water, almond milk or soy milk. If you can eat enough protein then you don't need them, but most days I can't eat enough meat to get mine in without having too many carbs/fat to go with it.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

JAZZSEY4
on 8/27/11 9:23 am
I definitely second that using Almond Milk idea, it looks like we had our surgeries on the same day (yay!!). I use it to make all of my shakes. I also blend every shake I drink with ice and greek yogurt (just for extra protein). Blending them, makes them so much more tolerable. Also adding them into decaf coffee is great, I am currently drinking on an iced decaf with two scoops of chocolate protein. This is the first unblended coffee I have made, because I am at work, and I much prefer my drinks blended up!

Good luck with finding something that works well with you and your body. Try the vita lady website and order some samples so that way you're not wasting too much money. Once you find the one you like, you can just stick to that.
aseg21
on 8/27/11 9:57 am - Miami, FL
I love the Premier Protein drinks from Costco. The chocolate ones are awesome.. they really don't taste like a protein shake at all. So good.. I could literally drink them for all 3 meals and it would be fabulous.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

poet_kelly
on 8/27/11 12:08 pm - OH
No, you do not always have to use protein shakes.  You should use them as long as you need to in order to get enough protein.  If you can get enough protein from food and prefer not to use shakes at all, then that's fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 304 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics