Stage 2 Discharge Diet - Help!

wynter57
on 8/28/11 4:04 am - Panama City, FL

Below is the exact wording of the sheet of paper I was given when I left the hospital. I am still on a liquid diet (Stage 2) due to being a revision. The two other ladies that had surgery the same day I did were on Stage 3 while still in the hospital (they were both first timers).

I guess I am a person who takes things EXACTLY as they are written, so this is a little confusing. Notice below they describe my liquid diet as drinks you can see through, I understand that without fail. Then in the list of items, it includes "Protein Shake Mixed with Fat Free Milk". Sorry but to me a shake mixed with milk is definitely not clear and not something I can see through.

This plan also only says to get 60 ounces of fluid in but does not say how many protein grams NOR if I even have to get in any protein at this stage. (I have my checkup with the surgeon this coming Wednesday and perhaps he'll move me to Stage 3. I haven't had food in 11 days now, so probably part of the reason I'm so weak feeling and tired).

STAGE 2 GASTRIC BYPASS DISCHARGE DIET

Duration: Per Dr. Lord (my surgeon)

Purpose: A clear liquid diet maintains vital body fluids and electrolytes while allowing your stomach to heal after surgery. Clear liquids are easily absorbed by the body and will provide energy while reducing the stimulation of the digestive system.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you drink at least 60 ounces of liquids daily so that you do not become dehydrated! Drink small amounts. Do not try to gulp or drink a large amount at one time.

What are Clear Liquids? Anything that you can see through that is low sugar. No concentrated sugar after surgery as it can cause dumping syndrome.

Diet Fruit Juice

Bouillon (Broth - any Flavor)

Water

Sugar Free Gelatin

Isopure Zero Carb Fruit Beverage (Clear liquid protein supplement)

Fat Free (Skim) Milk

Propel (Diet Gatorade)

Power-Aid Zero

Crystal Light

Sugar Free Popsicles

Fruit Ice (Low Sugar - watch for sugar alcohols)

Protein Shake Mixed with Fat Free Milk

Above is the list they gave me.

I have had the following:

Water, sugar free jello, chicken broth, Instant Breakfast Chocolate made with Fat Free Milk.

My question is this. Since the chart they gave me above does not say how many grams of protein we are to have and I know the Instant Breakfast is not the highest in the world, is it at least better than nothing? It is also not clear but the protein shake listed in the chart above is not clear either.

Sorry this is so long, but I truly want to do what I need to do to heal properly. It's very difficult and I am sipping and drinking more than I do normally, however I've not yet made it to the 60 ounces. Is this normal and what did you do to get in more on a liquid post op diet?

Thanks as always!!!

Wynter

VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

poet_kelly
on 8/28/11 4:26 am - OH
I would take the clear liquids listed and assume that skim milk and protein shakes made with milk are an OK acception to the clear liquids.

You need to try to get at least 60 grams of protein a day but it's not terrible if you can't quite get that much yet.  You definitely don't want to go for a couple weeks with no protein, though.

The Instant Breakfast isn't the highest thing in protein you could get but yeah, it's better than nothing.  Personally, I would stick with that while you try out some other protein shake mixes to find one with more protein that you like.  You can order tons of samples from vitalady.com and keep doing the Instant Breakfast while you wait for them to arrive.

The main thing I did to get enough liquids (which I did not manage to do in the first few weeks because I ended up dehydrated twice) was to carry a drink everywhere I went.  Into the bathroom, in the car if I went anywhere, just everywhere I went.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wanttostartover
on 8/28/11 4:57 am - SC
What is fruit ice? That sure sounds good right now. I'm on the same diet you are.

lilbear412
on 8/28/11 5:04 am, edited 8/28/11 5:07 am - MN
On August 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM Pacific Time, wynter57 wrote:

Below is the exact wording of the sheet of paper I was given when I left the hospital. I am still on a liquid diet (Stage 2) due to being a revision. The two other ladies that had surgery the same day I did were on Stage 3 while still in the hospital (they were both first timers).

I guess I am a person who takes things EXACTLY as they are written, so this is a little confusing. Notice below they describe my liquid diet as drinks you can see through, I understand that without fail. Then in the list of items, it includes "Protein Shake Mixed with Fat Free Milk". Sorry but to me a shake mixed with milk is definitely not clear and not something I can see through.

This plan also only says to get 60 ounces of fluid in but does not say how many protein grams NOR if I even have to get in any protein at this stage. (I have my checkup with the surgeon this coming Wednesday and perhaps he'll move me to Stage 3. I haven't had food in 11 days now, so probably part of the reason I'm so weak feeling and tired).

STAGE 2 GASTRIC BYPASS DISCHARGE DIET

Duration: Per Dr. Lord (my surgeon)

Purpose: A clear liquid diet maintains vital body fluids and electrolytes while allowing your stomach to heal after surgery. Clear liquids are easily absorbed by the body and will provide energy while reducing the stimulation of the digestive system.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you drink at least 60 ounces of liquids daily so that you do not become dehydrated! Drink small amounts. Do not try to gulp or drink a large amount at one time.

What are Clear Liquids? Anything that you can see through that is low sugar. No concentrated sugar after surgery as it can cause dumping syndrome.

Diet Fruit Juice

Bouillon (Broth - any Flavor)

Water

Sugar Free Gelatin

Isopure Zero Carb Fruit Beverage (Clear liquid protein supplement)

Fat Free (Skim) Milk

Propel (Diet Gatorade)

Power-Aid Zero

Crystal Light

Sugar Free Popsicles

Fruit Ice (Low Sugar - watch for sugar alcohols)

Protein Shake Mixed with Fat Free Milk

Above is the list they gave me.

I have had the following:

Water, sugar free jello, chicken broth, Instant Breakfast Chocolate made with Fat Free Milk.

My question is this. Since the chart they gave me above does not say how many grams of protein we are to have and I know the Instant Breakfast is not the highest in the world, is it at least better than nothing? It is also not clear but the protein shake listed in the chart above is not clear either.

Sorry this is so long, but I truly want to do what I need to do to heal properly. It's very difficult and I am sipping and drinking more than I do normally, however I've not yet made it to the 60 ounces. Is this normal and what did you do to get in more on a liquid post op diet?

Thanks as always!!!

Wynter

I am totally confused and quite proud of my choice of bariatric surgeons/nurses etc. When i started this journey i got a book. In this book it outlined EVERYTHING i need to do before AND after surgery. I had to bring this book with me everytime i went to an appt. My apppointments were based on my book. I talked to a nut about foods before/during/after. I talked to someone who does the physical part such as exercising. She went over the book and told me what i should be doing..before/during/after. ETC. When it came to doing my pre diet it told me exactly what to do and even had graphs for me to mark when i did things such as when i drank my carnation instant drink essentials for protein. And before i left the hospital my nurse went through the pages in my book that showed me the signs and complications of surgery and when to contact them. My next phase starts next week at my 1 week appt. where i get off the liquid diet and start on pureed foods of which the book tells me what i can eat and how much i should be eating and how to eat it etc. It even gives me a sample menu. Then the next time i go for an appt. is at one month where i now can eat (more like 1/4 cup) soft foods, small bites, chew very good and eat slow. Then it shows my two month appt...etc....
Did anyone else get this? so many people seem lost and that makes me sad because your bariatric program should be clearly making you know what each step is. I got the book so feel free to ask me questions anytime. I am not sure its right and all surgeons see things differently but it seems reasonable what they have told me. I have never been much of a drinker but am trying to keep water and propel near me all the time. Plus you get liquid with SF popsycles, jello, and broth. Take care

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

lpuentes
on 8/28/11 7:34 am
My surgeon was Dr. Lord. Did you go to an appointment with Leslie, the nutritionist? The information she gave us said 60 grams of protein per day. She also said that skim milk was allowed in the protein shakes...but, not to drink milk as a clear liquid. The paper you got looks like the one I had for my pre-op diet. Stay strong! You will be eating soon!

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 227 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?