Had my RNY on 8/16/11 and in a lot of pain and complications

tamtully71
on 8/29/11 4:45 am
I had my surgery on 8/16/11 and the surgery itself went great, but I ended up with pnuemonia in my left lung and a open wound on my left side that is taking a little time to heal... has to be packed and has a vacumn machine connected to it:(   I have a really hard time eating, I am not hungry at all and have to force what little food I am getting down.  I am only able to get down about 35 grams of protien down a day and that is a problem.... I feel nauseated a lot of the time due to the pain from the wound....  has anyone had any of these problems?????  I am a little discouraged although I have lost 21 pounds since surgery..... Help please :(  Just can not stomach the shakes :(
hlacy
on 8/29/11 4:58 am - Chandler, AZ
I had surgery the day after you. My surgeon says at this point, hydration is key, then protein. I am getting about 35g a day of protein at this point, but I could get more if I did shakes as snacks (as my plan suggests). I am in AZ and I am craving more water than shakes. Your surgeon's plan is best, but go easy on yourself and allow the healing to continue. Have you tried any of the Nectar shakes? Mixed with water, the fruit flavors are more like drinks to me than shakes (Fuzzy Navel for example).
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

D-J
on 8/29/11 5:26 am
hydration is more important then protien right now,, but get as much protien in as you can if you can,,,for the first two weeks of my post op i was in and out of the hosp,,and i practically lived off vanilla sugar free carnation instant breakfasts and puree'd soups i had to thin down with water,,

keep your chin up hun it does get better ,,so many times while i was in the hosp i asked myself what the hell did i do,, but now i wouldn't change it for the world and would do it again in a heartbeat.i'll be praying for ya'
dasie
on 8/29/11 5:26 am
You really have had a rough time of it, and  I am so sorry for that.  In spite of what I read, you sound like a very strong woman who will overcome this and be on the road to recovery very soon.  If you have someone who can buy various brands/flavors of shackes, keep trying until you find one that works for you.  Have you tried bullion?  I had difficulty with shakes as well.  I found an unflavored protein powder that was suitable for high temperature cooking.  I experimented, and 1/3 scoop made a really hot (I like my food very hot temp and spice) broth that gave me 8 grams of protein per cup.  I sipped on that bullion all day sometimes adding a splash of sesame seed oil.  I did this until I finally found a shake that did not nauseate me, and it took close to 3 months.  Keep trying, and I wish you the best.

Markjason11
on 8/29/11 6:03 am - MD
I had surgery just nine days after you did- and because of scar tissue- it was a really involved EIGHT hour surgery- apparently in removing the scar tissue- they poked a hole in my s tomach that they had to repair etc.  I say all that to say that I wasnt released from the hospital for 8 days and I can absolutely identify feeling- for the first bit- that you had made a horrible mistake- the nausea is maddeningly persistent and you cant always drink what you need- but I have to tell you- the past week and a half or so- I feel like I have turned a corner - I am down about 60 pounds from my top weight- about 48 from my day or surgery weight and I wouldnt trade this for the world ! I would encourage you to just hang in there- I KNOW it doesnt seem like it- but one of these days- you are going to feel as if you are slowly coming out of the tunnel and when that daylight hits your face- youl lbe SO glad you persevered ! Hope that helps ! 
AnneGG
on 8/29/11 6:05 am
Hang tough! It will get better! I'm sorry for your complications- I had some but not as bad as yours. Mine was constant nausea for 4 months straight.

In my early days, I was an emotional wreck re: having done the surgery. At one point I was sobbing to my ever patient husband "I've broken my perfectly good body! It may have been fat, but it worked right!"

It's an emotional and physical roller coaster, and it will get better!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Markjason11
on 8/29/11 6:06 am - MD
Whoops- I meant- I had my surgery three weeks BEFORE you- I got the months mixed up ! Hang in there- anyway !!!
Hugsmetite
on 8/29/11 6:32 am
I too had some complications, constant nausea and force feeding myself. My parents went as far as holding my mouth open and spoon feeding me yogurt. Or sticking a spoon of it in my mouth when i wasnt looking/paying attention. It was terrible, then i got a stricture which hurt badly and made me vomit. And i had a non healing wund as well, not so bad that i needed a vac but pretty nasty.
There is as everyone is saying a light at the end of the tunnel, making it to the end of the tunnel is the key though. I am 4 years post op and battling every day with food. Its still an addiction and that hasnt gone away for me.  I eat things then feel sick and horrible for hours. I do drink 64 + oz of water a day which is good for me. I think that this is a lifestyle not just a surgery and its not something that will ever go away, but i can still h onestly say that being skinny is worth every ounce of pain, heartache and discomfort i go through daily.
I am down 175+/-  pounds and am greatful every day that i have been able to do this. It will get better but every day WILL be a challange.
poet_kelly
on 8/29/11 6:39 am - OH
I also ended up with pneumonia after surgery and it was worse in my left lung, too.  They ended up having to do surgery to drain the fluid out of it and then the incision from that did not heal well and I got one of those nice wound vacs, too.  How gross, huh?

21 pounds is great weight loss in two weeks!  Don't be discouraged about that.

As far as the protein, part of why you feel nauseous may be from not getting enough protein.  How many different shakes have you tried?  How are you fixing them?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

vmeyerw
on 8/29/11 12:10 pm - belfield, ND
i just got home from the hospital with pnuemonia too in my left lung too was in for 7 days i had a open bypass on the 10th  and have been nausuoes most the time too . keep gagging on coughing too so that doesnt help either .... hope u fell better too
Most Active
Recent Topics