Centrum Chewables have no selenium -- supplement?

pouch_potato
on 9/1/11 2:01 pm - PA
I just switched from Flintstones [dodges rotten tomatoes and fruit] to Centrum chewables. After I bought the Centrum I realized that it does not contain selenium. Do I need to take a selenium supplement?

Also, I'm assuming I need two tablets per day. Can I take both tablets at the same time or do I need to split them a.m. and p.m.?

Thanks,
Rachel
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
Sasrah1972
on 9/1/11 3:02 pm - NY
My Centrum Silver Chewables have selenium. Look for those!!

Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

Ladytazz
on 9/1/11 3:21 pm
I take the generic silver formula, too.  It doesn't have iron but I don't like the kind of iron they have anyway.  I take Vitalady's Tender Iron.  It doesn't bother my stomach.
We need to take them separetly because we may not absorb that many vitamins at once and also to keep a steady stream of vitamins going, at least that is what I think I heard.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Shanneee
on 9/1/11 4:47 pm - MN
Regular Centrum Chewables don't have selenium but the Silver chewables do.  I'd recommend them if you are going with Centrum.  They don't have Iron, but most RNY-ers need more iron than is included so take a separate iron pill. 

Personally, I take Trader Joe's chewables (2 daily), VitaLady Tender Iron (1 daily), Bariatric Advantage Calcium Lozenges (3 daily), Trader Joe's sublingual B-12 (1 daily) and VitaLady D3, 50,000 (3x weekly).  It seemed like a lot at first but I seem to be getting it all in!  We'll see what my first labs look like in a few weeks!

Best of luck!
rbb825
on 9/1/11 8:58 pm - Suffern, NY
You need to get the centrum silver chewables - they are the ones that have everything in them including selenium   they have no iron but the iron in multi's are of no use to us anyway - wrong type of iron and not nearly enough. So, take 2 of the centrums - 2 times daily (not at one time ) and get a separate iron supplement - Tender Irons from vitalady are the best option for us - they are carbonyl iron which is the type of iron that we can absorb plus the 60mg capsules have the vitamin C in themthat we need to help us absorb them even better.  Most people need to start with 2-3 per day - all in one dose and then you can adjust your dose from there - this is what my NUT starts patients off with.

make sure you still get your selenium levels checked because  I found out that I was deficient in selenium at about 5 months out even with the centrum silver chewables. Don't take extra if you dont' need it though, extra is no good.

You also need to take 1500-2000mg of calcium citrate per day, atleast 1000mcg of sublingual B12 (most need alot more), 100mg of vitamin B1 and atleast 5,000 - 10,000 units of Dry D3 per day (most need alot more  - 50,000 units 2-3 times per week)

You should get some of these levels checked so you know where you need to be.

pouch_potato
on 9/1/11 10:22 pm - PA
Thanks all for the info. Heading to vitalady now.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
ladybugnessa
on 9/1/11 11:07 pm - Owings Mills, MD
split the dosage am and pm it's better
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

poet_kelly
on 9/2/11 12:38 am - OH
Here are my thoughts.

1.  Take a selenium supplements.

2.  When that bottle runs out, buy Centrum Silver chewables instead, which do have selenium.

3.  Switch to Centrum that you swallow in a month or two, which do have selenium.

You're not gonna develop a selenium deficiency overnight but you don't wanna go for a long, long time without taking any, either.

And yeah, take two a day.  I'd split them up.  Some things we may only be able to absorb so much of at one time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 122 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?