Carbs and Sugar Alcohol Questions?

wynter57
on 9/9/11 2:10 am, edited 9/9/11 2:11 am - Panama City, FL

How many carbs should we have per day when we are new post ops?

As you may know I'm struggling with the protein so I have come up with the only solution so far and that is to put protein powder in chocolate pudding, that is the only way I can't taste the whey so far.

SO, I don't want to overdue the carbs. A little confused also about sugar alcohols. Using sugar free pudding in the ready made cups but they have 15 carbs in them  with 9 sugar alcohols, so is that high?

My NUT's guide says 60 grams of protein per day, but does not talk about how many carbs, at least not that I can find so far.

Thanks in advance!
Wynter

VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/9/11 2:16 am - Baltimore, MD
The answer to your first question is, there IS no one answer. Your NUT can help you come up with a target but the answer is different for everybody's body. Some folks stick to a percentage of total daily calories. I do that. I get 40% of my daily calories from protein, 35% from carbs and 25% from fat. You would need to join a food journaling site to keep up with that information but it's not hard to do. Once you see how your days fall with your normal food choices you can play around with your menu to get to where you want to be.

So far as sugar alcohols, this series I did on BF might help. There is a section on sugar alcohols and about many other confusing components of carbs.

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/p/sugar-content-primer.h tml

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

wynter57
on 9/9/11 2:47 am - Panama City, FL
Thank you Nik, I read your guide.

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Cynthia L.
on 9/9/11 6:21 am - Clarence, NY
I love your new photo.

-Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

InkdSpEdTchr
on 9/9/11 2:38 am
Here is a rough guideline:

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal" American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio" treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits

And most of the WLS's I know, myself included, eat sugar alcohols just like sugar, no more than 10gm per serving.

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

wynter57
on 9/9/11 2:51 am - Panama City, FL
So, in other words, I need to only get 0-50 grams of carbs per day so that I remain in Ketosis?

When you say "eat sugar alcohols just like sugar" do you mean that you could sugar alcohols the same as you would sugar?

So, this pudding that has 15 carbs with 9 sugar alcohols does that sound ok if I eat two of them a day? The rest of what I am eating so far (mushy stage) is things like tuna, canned chicken with mayo, etc?

How long should we stay in ketosis? The article in your post suggests that it's only acceptable for a day or two but I know that people on here are always saying we need to be in ketosis, so that's a little confusing to me.

Thanks for your help!
Wynter

ohioh
on 9/9/11 2:59 am
RNY on 11/15/10 with
I am only going to respond to the sugar alcohol part of your question as the previous posters have given you excellent information on carbs and I really don't count them because I eat no bread, pasta etc...only a few crackers once in awhile. (I know there are plenty of carbs in other things.)  However, be careful of the sugar alcohols..they are the ONLY thing I dump on (so far). They are HORRIBLE.  I had heard somewhere (maybe on here) in the beginning, not to eat the pudding cups, but to make instant sugar free pudding instead because there aren't any sugar alcohols that way so that is what I have always done.  I was in the hospital a month ago and they gave me a pudding cup (SF) and it was the only thing that sounded good.  I didn't think anything of it..totally forgot, and sick, sick, sick. I also have been struggling with SF popsicles (if I eat more than one at a time) for the same reason.  So, be careful with those.  You may do fine with them, but I've seen on here that there are alot of people who have trouble with them.  Hope this helps!!  (SF chocolate is a tough one for alot of people because of the alcohols in them)  Heather

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
poet_kelly
on 9/9/11 3:14 am - OH
Hey, how come there are no sugar alcohols if the pudding mix?  That sounded so strange to me I had to get up and go in the kitchen and look at a box of sugar free pudding and sure enough, no sugar alcohols.  I thought they were from the artificial sweetener but the pudding mix must have artificial sweetener, right?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wynter57
on 9/9/11 3:34 am - Panama City, FL
Kelly, I am confused about that too. Where does the sweetness come from in the Jello Instant Pudding?

Could it be they just don't put the sugar alcohol content on the nutrition label for some reason?

I'm going to go buy it and make it myself rather than use the pudding cups if that is going to be better for me.

Thanks!
Wynter

poet_kelly
on 9/9/11 3:49 am - OH
I have no idea.

Maybe I'll go take a look at their website and see if I can figure it out.  Maybe I'll even email them if there is a customer service email on the site and ask.  I'm not calling, though.  I hate calling companies with questions like that.  Half the time the person answering the phone has no clue what you're even asking about, let alone the answer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 234 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 111 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?