Milk Problems?

deborahgalek31
on 9/12/11 7:57 pm
First, starting this out I wanna say it would be so great if you could search this forum for key words...because I know I've posted questions/suggestions on here that so many have posted before!  Would save alot of duplication of work :)

Here is my question...I'm 6 months out.  Is it unheard of to JUST start having an issue digesting milk?  The past 4 days I have been nausious with some "anal leakage" and gas soon after having a whey/milk protien drink.  Sunday the gas build up was so bad I started having shoulder gas pains, just like the ones I had in the hospital after surgery!  I though maybe I just caught something, but it seems to worsen right after milk products...I've NEVER had this problem before.  Anyone else?

Live Long and Prosper  \ V / ,
Debbie
Kim H.
on 9/12/11 9:39 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
You actually can search but unless you put "RNY" in as part of your search term you will likely get more than you want. I use it all the time! Top right is the search box. As far as the lactose intolerance goes I've read it's not uncommon after RNY. Switch to lactose-free products and see if you feel better. Other than that, I'm sorry, I don't have any personal experience to share.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
poet_kelly
on 9/13/11 1:15 am - OH
I think it might be unusual to just start having a problem with milk now but not unheard of.  Anyway it doesn't matter how common it is, right?  It only matters if that's what you're dealing with.  Try switching to the Lactaid milk or using soy milk for your protein shakes.  If you use a protein drink with whey isolate, that is lactose free.  Just try it and see if it helps.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

siberiancat
on 9/13/11 2:24 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I don't have problems from whey isolate protein BUT I do have issues with cows milk and sugar alcohols.  I have switched to making most whey isolate protein powders with water and unsweetened soy milk or unsweetened almond milk.

Sugar alcohol in some whey isolate products can cause diarrhea and very foul smelling gas.  There is even a warning label on most sugar free products with sugar alcohol telling you this.

I would do some "elimination" of one thing at a time for a few days in a row and keep "eliminating" until you figure out what may be causing the issue.

Some of us can use sugar, but maybe only 9 gm or under.  Some of us can do sugar alcohol - but maybe only 5gm or under.  We all are different and have different threshholds and foods that bother us.

Best wishes figuring it out.  I'm 29 months out and still have "issues" on some days.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics