why do I have a headache?

teachermarsha
on 9/16/11 9:33 am
My headache is like I slept wrong,  is actually in my neck and left temple.  Does it have anything to do with anything or am I really reading something into nothing?  Probably silly question.

seashell6417
on 9/16/11 9:44 am - Gaylord, MN
My headaches are sometimes from caffeine withdrawl (yes, I do consume caffeine) or dehydration.  Sometimes they are just a plain ol' headache, though.  Nothing a couple Tylenol's can't fix. 
Tami

Ladytazz
on 9/16/11 9:45 am
Not a silly question.  It could be a couple of things.  First, you just had major surgery.  Some people get headaches after anesthesia.
Also, if you gave up coffee and or soda you could be having caffiene withdrawal headaches.  You may want to ask your doctor if you can take some OTC pain meds that have caffiene in them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

teachermarsha
on 9/16/11 9:50 am
Thanks for such quick replies:)   Stopped my caffeine week or two ago, don't think it's that but still could be.  Yes, I can have some tylenol but has never helped me much before so haven't taken any yet. 

Kristi D.
on 9/16/11 11:40 am - Buffalo, NY
I never used to get any pain relief from Tylenol either and I used to take Advil for every ache or pain I felt.  Well, post-op obviously I can't take Advil anymore, but Tylenol does seem to work for me now even though it never did pre-op.  You may want to give it a try.  You never know, it might help. 

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

momokc
on 9/16/11 10:33 am
 Caffeine withdrawal can last 6- 8 weeks or longer! It all depends on how long you have been drinking it!  I tried about 20 years over my lifetime to get rid of caffeine and the urge came back within 6 weeks generally and the horrible headaches and I gave in.  I read an article that said a person who smokes can go a year or less and their lungs will look like they never smoked in their life however caffeine stays in one's body for about as much time as you drank it.  It builds up in your body.  This is all negative if you are fighting with caffeine issues however, hang in there and work thru it as it will be well worth it when you do.  Your food will taste better, you will have more energy, and your heatth will be oh so much better!  It is hard but we are here for you.  Rant and rave any time as caffeine addiction is more closely related to alcohol and drug addiction than any thing else out there.  Don't give in to caffeine as it will make you hungry along with the headaches! 

Best wishes, 
momokc

browneyez611
on 9/16/11 10:56 am
I had many headaches since surgery and ended up being dehydrated.  Make sure you are getting in your fluids.  Not saying you are dehydrated but in my case I was.  Good Luck :)

Melissa

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/11 11:14 am - FL
Caffeine is a probable cause, but as I found out today from my surgeon and my NUT, sometimes consuming low carbs for too long can bring on headaches too.   The odd part is that too many carbs can do the same thing.  Make sure you're also keeping your fluids up.
poet_kelly
on 9/16/11 12:00 pm - OH
Um, maybe you slept wrong?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fran_pa
on 9/16/11 1:15 pm - PA
I agree you probably slept wrong, since none of us sleep right for at least a week after surgery.  I also get headaches after anesthesia and from pain killers (liquid percoset gives me headaches everytime - I didn't fill the script when I left the hospital).  I had a bad one for the first three days I was home.  I finally pulverized my migraine med and managed to drink it down (tasted terrible but did the trick).  Someone really needs to realize there is a market for Sugar Free liquid Tylenol for after surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 233 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 102 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?