Protien how long do you drink it for?

franjellica
on 9/19/11 8:41 am - PA
I am like 4 1/2 months postop and my nut says stop taking protien and get it from my food.  I find this really hard to do .. I cant eat enough to get that much protein.  What should I do? I am like totally not getting enough.

HW 300  SW 287  CW 186 Surgery Date May 5,2011          

ladybugnessa
on 9/19/11 8:43 am - Owings Mills, MD
two years out this week... still drink protein drinks 1-2 times a day
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

sjbob
on 9/19/11 8:46 am - Willingboro, NJ
 There's a deep divide among doctors about this.  About 5 years ago, I'd guess that the divide was 50/50.  Now I get the feeling that most doctors have no problem with you staying on protein supplements as long as you want.  I'm 6 yrs post op from my latest RNY and I just realized that I'm not getting most of my protein from supplements.  But, I think I will be taking some supplements for the rest of my life.  Most people say to do what your doctor tells you to do.
franjellica
on 9/19/11 8:50 am - PA
Well I think it is crazy.. I cant eat enough in a day to get that much protein so I have to do something.. or i will be over eating again.  So I am gonna have to do the shakes I dont think it can hurt.

LoriLH
on 9/19/11 8:48 am - MI

Hi,
If you are unable to get all of your protein in with food.  Then you need to use the protein shakes until the time you can from food.  Your body needs the protein.  Continue to do your best to follow the advice your surgeon is giving you.  You will find your way.

I am over a year post-op and I still use protein shakes.  I really like them, there are so many flavors and recipes you can make, using frozen fruit, yogurt, coffee etc. 

I'm sure you will get many replies.

Lori

exohexoh
on 9/19/11 8:53 am - West Chester, PA
 williams is upenn right? i had dumon who used to be there and was told the same thing (we have the same nuts), but at just about a year out i don't get enough protein if i don't supplement. i don't do a shake every day or even most days, but i do use them. it's weird because they seem very lenient with other things like carbonation and carbs

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

franjellica
on 9/19/11 9:00 am - PA
yes un of penn ..Did you have Rachel for your nut.  I read alot of people still doing them and wonder why.. Cause I am eating to find protien and it is really hard.. I would rather do the shakes Like I was and be happy.  As long as it dont put weight on,, Or slow down and slower then i am now.. yea then they tell you to eat fruits and vegs well I dont have room for them trying to get protien. LoL.

exohexoh
on 9/19/11 9:09 am - West Chester, PA
 probably, i've had a different one every time i've gone lol. i go again on friday so i should probably track a day or two...

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

franjellica
on 9/19/11 9:01 am - PA
yes un of penn ..Did you have Rachel for your nut. I read alot of people still doing them and wonder why.. Cause I am eating to find protien and it is really hard.. I would rather do the shakes Like I was and be happy. As long as it dont put weight on,, Or slow down and slower then i am now.. yea then they tell you to eat fruits and vegs well I dont have room for them trying to get protien. LoL.

poet_kelly
on 9/19/11 8:55 am - OH
You should make sure you get enough protein.  It doesn't really make a difference to your body if it comes from shakes or from food.  Look at the shakes as just another high protein food.  You know, you can eat chicken, eat eggs, eat tofu, drink shakes, eat Greek yogurt, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics