Revising to RNY please advice!!

Kaysmommy
on 9/24/11 6:10 am - Silver City, NM
Hi everyone, I dont think I have ever posted on this board.  I had a VSG on July 25th, and have had nothing but complications with strictures, blood clots, lap site infections and living with a G-tube.   My suregon decided that after multiple attemts to open my stricture it just isnt going to happen, we are moving on to a complete RNY.   I guess Im just scared, I was so prepared for a sleeve, and after 2 months of not eating or anything, I think I have lost my mind.   I go in Wednesday for my RNY, and I feel like I am starting from nothing, and my mind is totally blank on where to begin now.  What advice to you have for a RNY newbie, who wasnt prepared for life with an RNY?   I just hoping and praying that this will be my last surgery and no more complications.  Im ready to get onto my weight loss journey.  

Aimee
Bobbie D.
on 9/24/11 7:24 am
Hi there,

I had a VBG in 2000 and revised to RNY 9/1/10. I hope you have as good of an experience as I have had. My surgery was open and did take about 5.5 hours. I couldn't eat anything but sliders with my first surgery and now I can eat anything but  I focus on protein, which I couldn't eat before without getting stuck. My dr couldn't even get the camera through my opening because it was so small.

Good luck to you!

Eliza55
on 9/24/11 8:53 am - PA

Two of the big differences between RNY and sleeve are malabsorption and potential dumping.  You'll need to be very vigilant about getting enough protein, and taking the recommended vitamins.  So there will be less "regular" food in your diet, and a big focus on protein.  You'll need to be careful about prescription drugs, as they may not be absorbed the same - this is really important with extended or delayed release products.  And finally, no NSAIDS like ibuprofen.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

carebear7391
on 9/24/11 9:15 am - Wilmington, DE
Thanks for your post.  I had a Realize band put in January 2009.  I have had no luck with it at all.  I lost about 30-40lbs but gained it all back plus some.  I had fluid in the band, but had it all removed in Nov 2010.  I couldn't stop getting sick.  I am now waiting for insurance approval for RNY.  I need the same advice right now myself.

Thanks!!
poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 9:57 am - OH
I hope you do have better luck with this surgery.

I think the biggest thing probably to learn about is the vitamins.  I know VSG folks are supposed to take vitamins too but RNY folks, due to the malabsorption, usually need a lot more and are at greater risk of nutritional deficiency. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 289 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views