26 days post op and serious questions-help??

Lisa G.
on 9/24/11 10:10 am - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY
Hi all, I am 26 days  out and have numerous questions that I hope someone can advise me on.  I am still hurting on my left side.  Not enough for pain pills, but achy/painful to press on.  Also,  I can only take 2-3 sips of ANYTHING at a time and then feel almost bloated/nauseous.  Also,  I have thrown up three times. Twice was after eating pork steaks (chewed very well and less than 2 ounces as advised by my physician).  Is it possible that I won't be able to tolerate the same foods I could before?  I feel thirsty constantly, but if I drink more than 3 sips it makes me feel not very good.  I am only able to eat about twice a day.  I am taking my vitamins but not so good on the protien.  I was the first two weeks, but I just can't drink that much.   Is this all normal or should I be concerned??  On the upside I am down 27 pounds from before.   Any advise would be greatly appreciated-thank you!!!!
   Sleep Tight, America
   PROUD ARMY MOM
   My Sons Have Your Back

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 10:13 am - OH
It's possible you won't be able to tolerate foods you could before, but I don't think the fact that you don't tolerate something well in the first few weeks after surgery is a good indication that you won't be able to tolerate it down the road.   Wait a few weeks and try pork again.

Why are you able to eat only twice a day?  Is it getting harder to keep stuff down?  If so, you need to call your doc.  You might be developing a stricture.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa G.
on 9/24/11 10:27 am - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY
The biggest reason is that I'm just not hungry.  I don't eat fried foods so there is no grease issue.  Everything is sugar free or no added sugar.  It's like I feel full constantly.
   Sleep Tight, America
   PROUD ARMY MOM
   My Sons Have Your Back

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 3:51 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
This is one of those lovely things about this surgery;  the loss of the feeling of hunger.  I used to
be able to eat MASSIVE amounts of food.  Now, if I eat 4-6 oz of food, I'm full.  I had to learn my
"High Level Alarm" so I didn't overeat and overfill my pouch which would lead to horrible results
like having to regurgitate the food.  Not a happy thing nor comfortable.

You only have a tiny little tummy now.  Don't overfill it. 

Watch for a high level alarm; mine is when my nose starts to run.  When I get the sniffles, I
quit eating.  Some folks belch, others hiccup.  Whatever your signal is, learn it. Your life will
be SO much easier.

It's all trial-and-error with food;  I couldn't eat pork (too dense??) for a long time;  start slow with
refried beans, tuna, shrimp, greek yoghurt, etc.  And definitely watch out for eggs--one of my
worst experiences, I promise you!!!

Good luck
mgd675
on 9/24/11 10:22 am - Aromas, CA
Liquid, protein shakes, sips, pork is out too dense, and 2?! concentrate on liquids first, then protien, then carbs. little steps. always have water with you, cool not cold.

the old foods are just that, you ADS (alternative digestion system) doesnt like grease, sugar or very dense foods. pork and dark meat chicken are too hard. read lables. smoothies with no sugar, fruit and greek yogurt, splenda or stivia.

hang in there, I started this last year at 330# today I am 189, when you are full listen to it. dont take that one more bite cause its coming back. slow, calm, G2 and ice is great.

take care and follow the trules
Ladytazz
on 9/24/11 12:38 pm
Right now staying hydrated is your number one priority.  
The pain is normal.  Did you have a lap RNY?  If you ever watch a video of them doing lap surgery you would understand why you are hurting.  They get in there and move things around alot.  You will feel better soon.
I couldn't eat chicken for a long time.  I would get sick.  I kept trying it every few days or so because I love chicken and one day I didn't have a problem and I haven't since.  I have no food intolerances with anything I have tried except I do dump so I have to watch sugar, fats and carbs.  Keeps me on my toes.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Kat Kat
on 9/24/11 7:49 pm - AZ
Hi back at you!

Sounds like your weigth loss is happening, so congrats!

Like Lady Taz said, they really move around a lot of stuff when they're inside. That pain will take a while to go away, but I'm hoping it's managabe at this point...if not call the doc. Also most of us have a new best friend now too....G-A-S! It can get uncomfortable at times as well. Mine usually settles in my lower left for what seems like eons, then with one big whoosh, my life is magically transformed these day from agony to bliss.

I had a heck of a time with fluids. Anything but a protein shake or skim milk just plain hurt, and it seemed like I was up all night sip, sip, sipping to get it all down. The colder the water, the higher the pain level. Since I hate powdered sugar free drinks I spent a lot of time drinking luke warm water. I found for myself that if I drink a protein shake or warm cup of caffine free coffee frist thing it seems to help me move forward to water a little easier. Gradually I was able to drink water a little cooler, and cooler until just recently it is the nice cold temp my mouth craves. I read on the forum about straws, so about a month ago I decided to take the chance. I can get a bunch of water down pretty quickly now with them. I think it's easier to use a straw when driving and sitting at my desk partly and I also think you gradually heal and adapt. Just keep trying and be patient...unless of course you are unable to get your fluids down in which case, call the doctor.

Be watchful of how your body reacts to new foods early out. I was a big chicken eater pre-op and my first few pencil sized bites post-surgery felt like I had eaten crumbly cement. After time and trying it several more times, it sits pretty well with me. I took it slow and easy. For me it's a journey and not a race. To be sucessful I need to remember to stay in tune with my body  and keep a plan in place which was a big factor that lead me to need WLS in the first place. Some of the easy things I loved which were easy to digest early out were refried beans with a little taco sauce, melted cheese and sour cream. I also still love Fat free ricotta cheese with spagetti sauce with melted cheese. I also ate thin sliced ham and cheese roll ups with mustard as a dipping sauce. Baked beans with Heinz low sugar catsup was good too...very gassy though. Pepperjack cheese sticks...nice zing. (Fish is usually easy)  Already spiced fish is steamer bags in the freezer section are great. I love Beacon Light Tomato Basil Tilapia..heats in the microwave in 4 minutes. Yum yum! Remember though..chew, chew, chew!

If your protien shakes aren't  tasty try another one. I love Unjury, 1/2 scoop vanilla and 1/2 scoop chocolate. If you hate it, they'll refund you. There are people on the forum that HATE Unjury though and yu may too, so I've read to visit vitalady.com because she has samples (SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE IF THIS ADDRESS IS WRONG)

I Wish you the Best!
Kat

mamawof5
on 9/24/11 10:44 pm - IN
I noticed that you are from southern Indiana, what part? I'm up in Paoli and would love to have someone to talk with about this surgery stuff! Congrats on the 27 lbs and welcome to the losers bench
Paula F.
on 9/25/11 1:06 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Hi Lisa,  I had my surgery the same day as you!  So glad to have a surgery sister!  Your pain is normal on the left side.  That is the side where  the majority of the instrumets and work was performed through.  Mine normally only bothers me when I cough or sneeze; then it hurts and burns like the dickens, but goes away pretty quickly.

You sound on target about the 2-3 sips too.  That is our motto: Sip, sip, sip!  If you are sipping constantly, it will help with the thirst.  Unfortunately, we can't just gulp a glass down like the old days.  I think the hardest thing for me, despite making meals liquidy, has been dealing with not being able to drink while eating.

Fortunately, I haven't thrown up at all, but my dr. has me on pureed foods still.  I can't even think of bites of meat right now, but look forward to when I can.  I think when you can, you aren't supposed to have any bites bigger than a pencil eraser for awhile.

I have been eating Wendy's chili, homeade chili, eggs, LF cottage cheese, soups, SF yogurt, refried beans, protein smoothies, etc.

Keep up the great work and best of luck,
Paula
Lisa G.
on 9/25/11 3:41 am - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY
I'm in Georgetown, Indiana.  Thank you everyone for the tips and suggestions!   I have decided to go    back to soft mushies for a week or so-my doctor said at two weeks I could start eating "normal" following the size guidelines, but I think maybe it was too soon.   The pain is manageable-I do not take any pain pills unless it keeps me awake at night, and that hasn't been a problem for a bit now.   I love the Chikes! protien shakes but they are so expensive!  I just feel full /bloated constantly it seems.  I love the journey I've started, I'll just be so glad when this icky phase is over!! 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 364 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 279 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 212 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 128 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?