Rollercoaster day- Just need to get it out.

Shanneee
on 10/6/11 2:13 pm - MN
What a day.  I'm out of town for a work conference and have been trying to enjoy myself while do some work.  It's not easy balancing the life of a post op with an out of town event where you need to eat all your meals out.  I'm wasting a lot of food but thankfully my co-workers seem to be ok "stealing" all my french fries so I don't feel as guilty.  It's hard to remember I don't have a normal stomach, though, and I've taken a few too many bites twice now.  No dumping but very uncomfortable. 

I got some bad news today.  A job I have been pining for for quite some time opened up recently.  I went through the very extensive interview process and made it to the final two.  I got a call today saying they chose someone else.  I'm devastated.  Trying to remember to do deep breathing to keep my anxiety down.  It's helping but I'm starting to go into the numb phase.  It would have been a 20-30 thousand dollar pay increase and something I would LOVE to do.  But for some reason it wasn't meant to be. 

On the positive side, two people I haven't seen since pre-surgery came up to me today and told me "you lost weight- you look great!"  It was nice to hear and they are actually the first people to say anything to me since surgery.  47 pounds later it's finally starting to be noticable.  I'll have to mentally prepare to hear more of this in the future.

I really wish I could eat a bag of Reeces Peanut Butter cups right now.  Or a box of Swiss Cake Rolls.  Or a Dairy Queen Blizzard.  My "go to" foods when the world seems like it's spinning out of control.  Thankfully I'm already in my PJ's and shored up in my hotel room.  The worst damage I could do would be to gorge on pistachios.  But I'm not hungry so I'm going to bed.  

Love you, OH Community.  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/6/11 2:43 pm
Aw, I'm sorry you didn't get the job. That is very disappointing. Congrats on NOT eating the Reeces or DQ or cake rolls!
(((hugs))) and feel better soon.
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 2:49 pm
I'm so sorry you are feeling badly... sounds like it was definitely not a good day for you.  I can't change anything that has happened, but know that I'm sorry you missed out on that job opportunity.  However, you know what they say about how when one window closes, another opens...

As for the eating and such, it's definitely hard when you're a relatively new post-op to deal with eating away from home.  Just remember to eat protein first, eat slowly, and avoid drinking anything for at least a half hour afterwards.  Err on the side of caution, because I know from experience how NOT FUN it is to feel icky while/after eating when you're not at home.

The good news is that tomorrow is a new day... and you successfully resisted the powerful urge to eat that bag of peanut butter cups (not easy to do, but you just saved yourself a world of physical hurt and mental remorse).  I'll be hoping for a good day for you tomorrow (today now, actually!)... be kind to yourself and have a good remainder of your business trip.  Bask in the glow of compliments on your weight loss!

Take care...

tori
erikapoindexter
on 10/6/11 9:39 pm - VA
Wow, sounds like a terrible day! I'm sure nothing we say will really change that. I'm sure it feels bad to have been that close to the new job and not get it. However, as others have said, sometimes there are hidden blessings with opportunities that didn't work out. Maybe something better will come along, or maybe it wouldn't have been a good fit!

However, you should be SO proud of yourself that you resisted the urge to console yourself through food! You would have woken up angry and upset with yourself. Now, you can say you made it through a challenging situation, and didn't lean on food for support!

Congratulations on the weight loss! Sounds like overall, you are doing well! Try to focus on the positive and be the best YOU that you can be!

Good luck,
Erika
Starting weight, 379lbs
Current weight, 175lbs, lowest weight 155lbs

Gastric Bypass: January 4, 2004
Lower body lift: January 2005
Arm and Breast Life: October 2005
AnneGG
on 10/6/11 10:15 pm
I always think of the job I was down to the last two for years ago that I didn't get, and like you I was so devastated.

Six months later they laid everyone off and shut the unit down.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Renee2be
on 10/6/11 11:08 pm - NC
I have been there on the job.  recently in fact within the past 6 months,  but i am now interviewing for one that is more suited to me.  So hopefully i will get it.

Dealing with stress post op is challenging for me as well.  We are having a time with Dh's ex-wife aka psycho-drama-queen-bfrom heck.........and at this point i am only cleared to walk as exercise,  we are tight financially, so shopping is out, and i'm out o fideas after that.  Been on the pc playing mindless games alot and started my research paper that is due in 10 days GULP.

Congrats on not eating.   I am there as well, even if you did you'd make yourself sick on top of everything else.

Congrats on the weightloss to!!!  Many people are afraid to comment in case they are wrong.

Hugs to you hun and hang in there!!!!

Shanneee
on 10/9/11 2:10 pm - MN
Thanks everyone.  It's been a few days and I've had time to process it all.  I'm still bummed about it, as I KNOW I was the best candidate for the job but also know there isn't anything I can do anymore.  Obviously there's some other path for me.  I just have to find it.  

You guys are the best!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 227 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views